URGENT NEED HELP - FSCK ERRORS

Post by Steve Carol » Fri, 03 Jun 1994 22:45:54

Newsgroups: comp.unix.admin
Subject: URGENT HELP NEEDED !!

Date: 1 Jun 94 19:56:43 GMT

Quote:J. Sanchez writes:

     After a improper shutdown, fsck detects errors in one of our disk.

          #  fsck /dev/rrz2g
          ** /dev/rrz2g
          BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
          USE -b OPTION TO FSCK TO SPECIFY LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE
          SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; SEE fsck(8).

    We tried using the superblock 32 with similar results. We have an old
backup but we have made a lot of work since then, and we would like to recover
as many files as possible. Does anybody have any magic recipe ??

     WE ARE DESESPERATED.    HELP NEEDED !!!!!!
     WE ARE DESESPERATED.    HELP NEEDED !!!!!!
     WE ARE DESESPERATED.    HELP NEEDED !!!!!!

    Thanks for any help you can give to us.

                                                J. Sanchez

If you are on a SUN 4.1.x you could run newfs -N /dev/rrz2g, this will print out all
file system parameters without trying to create a new file system. You then can use
these different block numbers. It can be a long process if there are many, but you may
find one that works. EXAMPLE:
        1). newfs -N /dev/rrz2g
                produces block numbers where the superblock has made copies
        2). fsck -b <block number> /dev/rrz2g

good luck!!

1. Need Help: fsck error on root partition, won't boot.

Hello again,

        I want to thank all those who responded to my post. I used the
distribution to create a "rescue" root disk, then did a boot using the
"bare.i" boot disk, use the rescue disk to e2fsck the effected disks. I found
that the lost+found subdirectories were full. I removed everything in those
directories and e2fsck-ed again.

        Anyway, all is well now.

Thanks again,

Lyndon F. Bartels

2. error in routing redirects

3. How do I dump from serial port to text file?

4. URGENT URGENT dlopen() help needed...

5. IBM Valuepoint and Linux

6. FreeBSD + PCMCIA

7. Need help with disk error messages - urgent!

8. Urgent help needed: Error message (da0:bt0:0:0:0): CCB 0xcc32c700 - timed out

9. Need to run fsck on the / partition and need help

10. fsck fsck fsck say I