Using UNIX

Post by Eric Dorla » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Where is the best place to find information on how to use UNIX?

Eric Dorland

http://www.odyssee.net/~hooty/

Using UNIX

Post by Jeffrey E Ston » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Where is the best place to find information on how to use UNIX?

Visit any Waldenbooks, B. Dalton Bookseller, or go to your local public
library.  Go to the computer section or the card catalog (if they still have
one) and look for UNIX.

There are those various "Idiot's Guide to..." as well as "UNIX for Dummies."
SAMS Publishing, O'Reiley and Associates have many books out about UNIX.

You could even type "man man" at your UNIX prompt for an "on-line" reference.
Although man pages were written with more experienced users in mind.

--
Jeff
                                     [Team OS/2]

   *  http://www.pitt.edu/~jesst63               * for something much   *
   * "I am outcast, unclean." - Thomas Covenant  * better to come along *

Using UNIX

Post by Joh » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> There are those various "Idiot's Guide to..." as well as "UNIX for Dummies."
> SAMS Publishing, O'Reiley and Associates have many books out about UNIX.

Wasn't there an "Advanced Unix for Dummies"?  I'd laugh, if it weren't so
terrifying.

JT
--
All your dreams will come true. All my dreams came true.
Now I have a bunch of other dreams.

1. First time running FreeBSD/Unix (Never USED Unix before)

FreeBSD is a great platform to start in Unix. I am only 16 and have
done some amazing things with my coumputer. But since this was my first
venture into Unix, I thought it would be a good learning experince.

I got FreeBSD on a Monday. By Friday I had XFree86 running with
different windows managers(and I don't even know how to program).

For anyone getting into Unix, choose FreeBSD, I did.

2. Novell Client for Linux

3. How do you do a surface analysis of disk using unix

4. Omnis TechCorp. Announces Agreement With Caldera Systems to Include OMNIS Studio in Caldera eDesktop Product Release

5. Question using UNIX select() call on an HP

6. KPPP Help Needed

7. Setting and Using Unix Variables

8. CROND Messages?

9. M$ used Unix clone to develop their early products....

10. scheduling using UNIX at

11. How to determine ethernet utilization using UNIX?

12. Using Unix DLL's (dlopen) with C++ and virtual functions

13. first timer programming c++ using unix