Suggestions Please

Post by Mark Papp » Tue, 08 Mar 1994 16:31:34

I'm real new to the unix game. I'm running BSD 4.3. Can anyone suggest
a few good books either at a book store or online at an internet site
that would be like System Admin for dummies. I'm looking for info
on like setting up user accounts, compiling progs for systems.
Thanks

-- Mark

     Mark A. Pappas               |

                                  |Phone:(904) 457-6800
                       Mark Pappas Development
                  Specializing in Macintosh Databases
                ACI's 4th Dimension & Novell's AppWare
                  (A fairway ball is a happy ball!!)

Suggestions Please

Post by D. Jay Newm » Wed, 09 Mar 1994 23:26:56

>Can anyone suggest
>a few good books either at a book store or online at an internet site
>that would be like System Admin for dummies. I'm looking for info
>on like setting up user accounts, compiling progs for systems.

I find the books published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. to be invaluable.
_Essential System Administration_ is very useful to a beginner, as is
_TCP/IP Network Administration_.

These books did not talk down to me, even when I was just starting out, and
I still use them today.

Good luck!
--
D. Jay Newman           !  We were all born to live with magic, the

Suggestions Please

Post by rmor.. » Thu, 10 Mar 1994 20:27:49

: I'm real new to the unix game. I'm running BSD 4.3. Can anyone suggest
: a few good books either at a book store or online at an internet site
: that would be like System Admin for dummies. I'm looking for info
: on like setting up user accounts, compiling progs for systems.
: Thanks

: -- Mark

: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
:      Mark A. Pappas               |

:                                   |Phone:(904) 457-6800
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
:                        Mark Pappas Development
:                   Specializing in Macintosh Databases
:                 ACI's 4th Dimension & Novell's AppWare
:                   (A fairway ball is a happy ball!!)
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not sysadmin for dummies, but one of the best admin books I've
found is _Unix System Administration Handbook_ by Nemeth, Snyder,
Seebass published by Prentice Hall.  It covers a wide variety of
topics and is an "easy" read for a technical book.

Ron Morley
Zenith Data Systems
--
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own...no one else wants them.
"The only two things a pirate'll     |"The least flexible component of any

1. Possible Netowrk Setup -- Suggestions Please

I am not new to the networking world or Linux, but I am looking for a little
input in this instance.  What I'm essentially trying to do is get a
locked-down network that is very secure and uses all services through a
central gateway, services such as DNS, Apache, NIS, NFS, Samba, NAT, and IP
Filtering.  Now my first question is:  is this set-up feasible from a
security perspective and/or feasiblity in setup on a gateway machine?

DNS - Allow all internal machines to use this server as a name server and an
outside name (ie. query the internal server to resolve names on the
internet) caching server.
Apache - Allow only internal machines to access this service.
NIS - Allow only internal machines to access this service.
NFS - only internal machines.
Samba - only internal machines.
NAT - "Masquerade" internal machines on the internet.
IP Filtering - Firewalling rules which drop any requests to the gateway
except for the above services to the internal net.

Now I've heard arguments about putting this particular mixture of services
on one machine, especially a gateway/firewall.  Can someone substantiate
this advice?

I will also be doing some port forwarding in the near future to distribute
some services offered by this one machine.

So can anyone share their thoughts on such a setup ... positive and/or
negative?

Thank you,
Dan Serban

2. Download entire directory with Internet Explorer

3. book suggestion please

4. (gpm | selection) Problems

5. suggestions please.

6. Server Parsed HTML with Apache and Linux

7. Suggestions please - Office for Linux

8. User Awareness newsletter -

9. RHCE Exam Books - Suggestions Please

10. Mouse not recognized - Suggestions please

11. Mouse and Keyboard problem in X: Suggestions Please

12. System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

13. Newbie: suggestions please