termcap for wyse 160 terminal (wy-160)

Post by Doug Ro » Thu, 16 Sep 1993 22:41:00

Hi ,

Does anyone have a termcap for wyse 160 terminals (wy-160).
I would really like one that remaps the arrow keys (and the
function keys) to ansi but could use anything to start with
if this is not possible..

--

phone  - +61 9 380 2507      /     \   Psychology Department
fax    - +61 9 380 1006      *_,-._/   University of Western Australia

Post by Mark A. Dav » Fri, 17 Sep 1993 03:47:34

>Hi ,
>Does anyone have a termcap for wyse 160 terminals (wy-160).
>I would really like one that remaps the arrow keys (and the
>function keys) to ansi but could use anything to start with
>if this is not possible..

The wyse 160 is a wonderful terminal, but I do NOT recommend using it in
native mode.  All terminals here are using the de-facto standard: vt-100.
I do have termcaps & terminfos which take use of the many function keys and
features of the 160, though- but it must be in VT-100 mode to use them.

  | Mark A. Davis    | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk, VA (804)-461-5001x431 |

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 18 Sep 1993 08:15:40

>>Hi ,
>>Does anyone have a termcap for wyse 160 terminals (wy-160).
>>I would really like one that remaps the arrow keys (and the
>>function keys) to ansi but could use anything to start with
>>if this is not possible..
>The wyse 160 is a wonderful terminal, but I do NOT recommend using it in
>native mode.  All terminals here are using the de-facto standard: vt-100.
>I do have termcaps & terminfos which take use of the many function keys and
>features of the 160, though- but it must be in VT-100 mode to use them.

Well I've found that putting the WY-160 into it's VT-320 mode
gives a really workable terminal for virtually all instances.

However, just edit your /etc/termcap cap for the ku,kd,kl and
kr entries, and perhads the up.

I don't care for termcap entries that remap using is because it
always seems to conflict with something, but you could also do
that by setting the is string to do the initialzation of the
arrow keys.

Probably the easiest way is to go into hardware setup and map
the arrow keys, and then just change the above termcap entries.

Set up arrow to be \E[A, down to \E[b, right to be \E[C and
left to be \E[D in termcap.  (Thats ku, kd, kr and kl
respectively).

I have never heard the any reason why they designed the left
arrow to be the same as back-space.   I guess the designer of
that one had never seen a spreadsheet :-)

--

Post by Mark A. Dav » Sat, 18 Sep 1993 21:34:39

>>>Does anyone have a termcap for wyse 160 terminals (wy-160).
>>>I would really like one that remaps the arrow keys (and the
>>>function keys) to ansi but could use anything to start with
>>>if this is not possible..
>>The wyse 160 is a wonderful terminal, but I do NOT recommend using it in
>>native mode.  All terminals here are using the de-facto standard: vt-100.
>>I do have termcaps & terminfos which take use of the many function keys and
>>features of the 160, though- but it must be in VT-100 mode to use them.
>Well I've found that putting the WY-160 into it's VT-320 mode
>gives a really workable terminal for virtually all instances.

Any VT mode should work almost as well

Quote:>However, just edit your /etc/termcap cap for the ku,kd,kl and
>kr entries, and perhads the up.

There are many more problems with the native mode than just the arrow
keys, though.

[...]

Quote:>I have never heard the any reason why they designed the left
>arrow to be the same as back-space.   I guess the designer of
>that one had never seen a spreadsheet :-)

They were just ****TOTALLY**** braindead on that!!!  That's the only answer
I can think of.  :)

  | Mark A. Davis    | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk, VA (804)-461-5001x431 |

1. Function Keys on WYSE 160

I have serveral wyse 160 terminals attached to a sun ultrasparc.
I would like to be able to program the function keys on the 160
terminal when the user logs in.  I assume I would just have to echo some
characters to the screen that the terminal understands.  I have read the
manual and I just can't figure out how to do this.  I would also like to
be able to display some info about the function keys on the bottom of the
screen.  I know there must be some way to do this.

Thanks,

Sue
--
Intelligence has nothing to do with politics.
                        Londo Molari

2. DA: Colorado T1000i

3. WANTED: Wyse-160/tek4014 GIF/DVI/Postscript previewers

4. ipmasqadm+ipportfw+redhat 6.2 on a sparc classic

5. Booting NetBDS on a Powerbook 160 ?

6. UNIX Systems Administrator

7. Trantor T-160 SCSI drivers???

8. Script to detect day of week

9. ?kernel video argument setting for StarMax 4000/160 MHz?

10. Linux-Activists Digest #160

11. SUN 3/160;3/280 FOR TRADE

12. WinXP gains 160 official advocates