Uninterruptible sleeping process

Post by Tapas Ka » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:08:24

Hi Gurus,
(TrueUnix4.0F question)
Submitted jobs go to Uninterruptible sleeping process. vmstate shows 98%
idle.
(The system was working fine before). What's wrong and how to make those
jobs
running properly?
Thanks
Tapas

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without
which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made."
                                           - Albert Einstein -
Tapas Kar, Ph. D
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Utah State University
Logan, UT 84322-0300

Tel: 435-797-7230
Fax: 435-797-3390

Post by Juergen Hein » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:34:01

>Hi Gurus,
>(TrueUnix4.0F question)
>Submitted jobs go to Uninterruptible sleeping process. vmstate shows 98%
>idle.

[-]
reboot the machine since kill'ing it isn't going to do the job.

Quote:>(The system was working fine before). What's wrong and how to make those
>jobs running properly?

[-]
Could be some hardware problem like a defective tape drive (tar or
cpio* then for instance).
[-]

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /

Post by Kevin W. Thom » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:42:31

>Hi Gurus,
>(TrueUnix4.0F question)
>Submitted jobs go to Uninterruptible sleeping process. vmstate shows 98%
>idle.
>(The system was working fine before). What's wrong and how to make those
>jobs
>running properly?
>Thanks
>Tapas

>"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without
>which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made."
>                                           - Albert Einstein -
>Tapas Kar, Ph. D
>Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
>Utah State University
>Logan, UT 84322-0300

>Tel: 435-797-7230
>Fax: 435-797-3390

I'm not familiar with TrueUNIX, however I believe I can at least offer some
ideas.

Have you added any new hardware recently?  If so, remove it and see what
happens.

Have you modified your system, such as installing new patches or drivers?
If so, undo your changes and see what happens.

Does your system log file show anything unusual?

        Kevin W. Thomas
        Sun System Administrator & Meteorologist
        Norman, Oklahoma

1. Uninterruptible sleeping process

Hi Gurus,
(TrueUnix4.0F question)
Submitted jobs go to Uninterruptible sleeping process. vmstate shows 98%
idle.
(The system was working fine before). What's wrong and how to make those
jobs
running properly?
Thanks
Tapas

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without
which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made."
                                           - Albert Einstein -
Tapas Kar, Ph. D
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Utah State University
Logan, UT 84322-0300

Tel: 435-797-7230
Fax: 435-797-3390

2. trn rn

3. Uninterruptible sleep Process

4. How do I use dpsexec?

5. How to kill a uninterruptible sleep process

6. Linux good for your career?

7. Uninterruptible sleep Process and Reboot

8. Files not displayed in file selector: Gnome bug/error?

9. How to "kill" uninterruptible sleeping process?

10. Killing a process in "uninterruptible sleep"

11. killing processes in an uninterruptible sleep

12. Process in "uninterruptible sleep"?

13. Process falls into uninterruptible sleep