changing telnet port number

Post by choik » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Dear sir,

I'd like to change telnet port number in /etc/services file.
Is it possible to use "telnet <ip-address> <port number>"  after change
telnet number? If it is possible what range can I use?
Thanks.

changing telnet port number

Post by Johan Rudho » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to change telnet port number in /etc/services file.
>Is it possible to use "telnet <ip-address> <port number>"  after change
>telnet number? If it is possible what range can I use?

I'd suggest that you leave the telnet entry alone, and create a new one
instead. Then you can swap the new telnet for the original one in
/etc/inetd.conf. Look at the services & inetd.conf files for a while, and you
will be able to figure out how to do. It would be wise to use a port within
the 'privilidged ports' range, [1,1023]. Only root can have services listen
to these.

And yes, the use of telnet which you describe will work.

//Johan -> [/]

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Dear sir,

> I'd like to change telnet port number in /etc/services file.
> Is it possible to use "telnet <ip-address> <port number>"  after change
> telnet number? If it is possible what range can I use?
> Thanks.

You can run a telnet daemon on any port you like. If you want to run
on a port under 1024, you must be root to start the daemon. (Inetd
usually runs as root.)

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I'd like to change telnet port number in /etc/services file.
>Is it possible to use "telnet <ip-address> <port number>"  after change
>telnet number?

Of course.  When you specify <port> explicitly, it ignores what's in
/etc/services, which is just the default port to use.

1. Telnet on port 23 spawns other telnet process on different port?

Hi,

I've got a question about something I read about a telnet server.

All the telnet servers I worked with in the past were capable of
handling multiple connections at a time using just port 23.
But I read something about a telnet server which spawned a
seperate process on a different PORT number (<> 23) for each
connection.

What I don't see, is the way how this is communicated to the
telnet client ??

The telnet client tried to connect to the telnet service on port 23
but how does the client know that "his" telnet server for that
connection will be on port , let's say, 3000???

Is this handled by the Telnet app, the telnet specs (couldn't
find anything there) or even TCP or IP??

Does the server on port 23 acknowledge the connection?
Does this server on port 23 send the new port number to the client?
Does the new server on port 3000 send the ack for the connection???

Thanks for your time...

2. patterns (*,?,[])

3. Identify number of telnet ports

4. RS6000 and AIX -- Opinions please

5. Increasing number of telnet ports

6. oBSD 2.1 won't stay up 24 hours

7. Can I telnet to a port number and be auto connected to a serial line?

8. Move /home/ directories to new drive?

9. Determine TCP Port Number for a Telnet Session

10. Where can I find a list of telnet port numbers?

11. How to change port number for Proftpd

12. Changing FTP server port number

13. How to change openwin's tcp port number