Problem with DNS.

Post by Hilary Zhan » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:11:38

I always got "Non-authoritative answer:" when I try to resolve a server's IP
using nslookup. I added new records in my DNS database, but I forgot to
increase the serial number in db.local.( I increased the SOA serial number
in db.mydomain.) is that the reason? What can I do to solve this problem? I
have increased the serial number in db.local now and restart in.named. It
seems that it still not work now. Do I need to wait until the refresh time
come?

Problem with DNS.

Post by Jimi Thompso » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:10:27

Try posting in info.bind (if you are using BIND).

Quote:> I always got "Non-authoritative answer:" when I try to resolve a server's
IP
> using nslookup. I added new records in my DNS database, but I forgot to
> increase the serial number in db.local.( I increased the SOA serial number
> in db.mydomain.) is that the reason? What can I do to solve this problem?
> have increased the serial number in db.local now and restart in.named. It
> seems that it still not work now. Do I need to wait until the refresh time
> come?

1. Problem with DNS on Linux

I have been struggling with Domain Name Service on a new install
of Slackware and am currently stuck.  I want this Linux box to be
a name server.
I have started named and when I enter: nslookup  I get the error
message:  Can't find server name for address 128.32.45.9  server
failed.  Default server not available.

I have been reading the DNS & Bind book from O"Reilly and the
Linux documentation set.  It has been difficult since the
configuration files have different names in the O'Reilly book.

I have noticed that if I modify the resolv.conf file and change
the ip address for the nameserver, it does change the ip address
that I see in the error message.

The files that I have modified are resolv.conf  named.boot,
named.ca,  named.hosts, named.local, and named.rev.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?  Am I missing
a file that I should be configuring?  Any help is appreciated.

2. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.questions

3. Problem with DNS ?

4. New Unix Community Portal!

5. red hat 7 problem with dns?

6. Unix Shell Account Help

7. Problem with DNS MX records...

8. Transferring /etc/XF86Config from 3.2 to 3.3

9. Problems with DNS on private network with RH5.2

10. Problem with DNS server !!!

11. rlogin problem with DNS

12. problems with DNS recursion

13. Problem with dns in Debian Etch