NEED OPINIONS OF SYS ADMINS ON ALLOWING access to chfn, etc.

NEED OPINIONS OF SYS ADMINS ON ALLOWING access to chfn, etc.

Post by an201.. » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am interested in finding out opinions of sys admins in an academic setting
about allowing users access to chfn. Some arguments in favor have been that
the use of a nick name allows the posters immunity from any religious or
racial prejudice. Last names and first names quite frequently indicate
race and religion of a person, or may cause an identification with it. To
prevent such a bias to come into play, one should be allowed access to chfn.
The use of anonymous remailers is often too inconvenient that it is not
a substitute for access to chfn.

Please post replies on the group or reply me via the anonymous mail. I
appreciate your reading the message.

If you reply to this message, your message WILL be *automatically* anonymized
and you are allocated an anon id. Read the help file to prevent this.

Post by Pat Wils » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I am interested in finding out opinions of sys admins in an academic setting
>about allowing users access to chfn. Some arguments in favor have been that
>the use of a nick name allows the posters immunity from any religious or
>racial prejudice. Last names and first names quite frequently indicate
>race and religion of a person, or may cause an identification with it. To
>prevent such a bias to come into play, one should be allowed access to chfn.
>The use of anonymous remailers is often too inconvenient that it is not
>a substitute for access to chfn.

We do not allow students to change their names with chfn; their name in the
GECOS field comes from our Name Directory (institution-wide database).
We do, on the other hand, allow them to choose their login names.

I think your argument is specious - such "identifications" may be
made with a person's name (or other attributes of that person) in
any number of contexts, and there really is no "immunity" from
prejudice.  Also, many nicknames are _more_ evocative of that
person, not less...

--
Pat Wilson

1. How to allow access from a range of ip address in /etc/hosts.allow

Hi

I am newbie in linux networking.
My linux box is in network 212.1.2.128/25.
I want to allow some of ip addresses below to open
connection to my server (telnet, etc).
  212.1.2.192 - 212.1.2.212
Then how make a rule in /etc/hosts.allow ?
So far I made this rule:
  ALL:212.1.2.192/27
But the others (212.1.2.213-254) will be welcomed too :-(

TIA

~yudi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. connect();

3. UNIX/PC Sys Admin opinions

4. Multiple commands - single line of output

5. Apache and Listen Directive not working

6. Halloween VII: a fake?

7. Sys Admin Book Opinion

8. Meaning of sys, admin, sysadmin in /etc/group

9. difference between Sys Admin & Sys Analyst?