fsck on sco 5.0.5, where is it?

Post by romppas » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:52:52

Im new to SCO server family and recently just encountered problem with
my SCO 5.0.5 Openserver as it hangs-up while booting with the message of
**Root File System Modified** followed by **Remounted Root File System**
then stops from there. This happened after the server was turned-off
accidentally by my baby :) while i was doing a vi on resolv.conf.

The bad thing is, i bought the server second hand without installer
disks, boot/root floppies and manual to look up to so im just relying on
the internet in finding cure to this problem.

I check on google and found infos on how to boot the system using
oss604a.boot and from there mount /dev/hd0root /mnt. However, in most of
the advices on threads, fsck is required but cant call it from the /etc
and not even in the mounted /mnt/bin as it is not there. Im wondering
why didnt they put this fsck on this boot disk...

Im starting to lose patience and contemplating on replacing the os with
freedbsd or linux as i found them very easy to handle with tons of
infos, fixes and organized manuals available over the internet. Im at
lost and dont sure if this is the right move to take.

Until i found myself this morning looking up the sky along with my baby
as if she too is looking for an answer to my problem, with a state of
mind you may refer to as "buffer overflow" when it came to my mind that
there is this forum that may be of help to me.

Please help me out with this...thanks and more power to all of you guys

fsck on sco 5.0.5, where is it?

Post by Scott McMilla » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:05:19

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:52:52 +0000, romppast

>Im new to SCO server family and recently just encountered problem with
>my SCO 5.0.5 Openserver as it hangs-up while booting with the message of
>**Root File System Modified** followed by **Remounted Root File System**
>then stops from there. This happened after the server was turned-off
>accidentally by my baby :) while i was doing a vi on resolv.conf.

>The bad thing is, i bought the server second hand without installer
>disks, boot/root floppies and manual to look up to so im just relying on
>the internet in finding cure to this problem.

>I check on google and found infos on how to boot the system using
>oss604a.boot and from there mount /dev/hd0root /mnt. However, in most of
>the advices on threads, fsck is required but cant call it from the /etc
>and not even in the mounted /mnt/bin as it is not there. Im wondering
>why didnt they put this fsck on this boot disk...

>Im starting to lose patience and contemplating on replacing the os with
>freedbsd or linux as i found them very easy to handle with tons of
>infos, fixes and organized manuals available over the internet. Im at
>lost and dont sure if this is the right move to take.

>Until i found myself this morning looking up the sky along with my baby
>as if she too is looking for an answer to my problem, with a state of
>mind you may refer to as "buffer overflow" when it came to my mind that
>there is this forum that may be of help to me.

>Please help me out with this...thanks and more power to all of you guys

I've not seen a 5.0.5 box stop at that point myself, but you might try
some searches at the following:

www.pcunix.com
http://stage.caldera.com/ta/   -> "Continue to the Knowledge Center"

You can try asking in a SCO-specific newsgroup:
comp.unix.sco.misc

You'll need to give some information on your specific hardware setup
(hard drive type(s), controller(s), etc), but there are a number of
folks that have been using SCO for many, many years there, and I'm
sure someone will have a solution.

Scott McMillan

fsck on sco 5.0.5, where is it?

Post by Scott McMilla » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:08:09

>On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:52:52 +0000, romppast

>>Im new to SCO server family and recently just encountered problem with
>>my SCO 5.0.5 Openserver as it hangs-up while booting with the message of
>>**Root File System Modified** followed by **Remounted Root File System**
>>then stops from there. This happened after the server was turned-off
>>accidentally by my baby :) while i was doing a vi on resolv.conf.

>>The bad thing is, i bought the server second hand without installer
>>disks, boot/root floppies and manual to look up to so im just relying on
>>the internet in finding cure to this problem.

>>I check on google and found infos on how to boot the system using
>>oss604a.boot and from there mount /dev/hd0root /mnt. However, in most of
>>the advices on threads, fsck is required but cant call it from the /etc
>>and not even in the mounted /mnt/bin as it is not there. Im wondering
>>why didnt they put this fsck on this boot disk...

>>Im starting to lose patience and contemplating on replacing the os with
>>freedbsd or linux as i found them very easy to handle with tons of
>>infos, fixes and organized manuals available over the internet. Im at
>>lost and dont sure if this is the right move to take.

>>Until i found myself this morning looking up the sky along with my baby
>>as if she too is looking for an answer to my problem, with a state of
>>mind you may refer to as "buffer overflow" when it came to my mind that
>>there is this forum that may be of help to me.

>>Please help me out with this...thanks and more power to all of you guys

>I've not seen a 5.0.5 box stop at that point myself, but you might try
>some searches at the following:

>www.pcunix.com
>http://stage.caldera.com/ta/   -> "Continue to the Knowledge Center"

>You can try asking in a SCO-specific newsgroup:
>comp.unix.sco.misc

>You'll need to give some information on your specific hardware setup
>(hard drive type(s), controller(s), etc), but there are a number of
>folks that have been using SCO for many, many years there, and I'm
>sure someone will have a solution.

>Scott McMillan

Nevermind, I see you already posted this in comp.unix.sco.misc.

fsck on sco 5.0.5, where is it?

Post by romppas » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:19:38

Hi Scott,

Bela Lubkin responded to my post and gave some advices which I am
working on now.

Thanks so much to your concern, indeed i found a right place with
dbforums in seeking experts advice on things that i have never thought
to be attended to just as with my experience with other forums.

Again, thank you and more power to all of you.

Rommel P. Pastrana
*still stunned with this blow from sco5.0.5* :)

1. fsck fsck fsck say I

[[[Ouch.  Sorry.  Ouch.  The first edition of this text lost the first
word of its Subject.  Fixed now]]]

I remember I first learned of `fsck -f -y /` after `umount /` in the
thread:

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: fsck fsck fsck say I
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2695edf1.0312021221.72f242a3%...

Speaking again now of fsck'ing on demand, eventually I also noticed,

My `man -k fsck` does not yet, but could/ should, point to:

--- http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+man+shutdown
--- http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/shutdown.8.html
-f
Skip fsck on reboot.
-F
Force fsck on reboot.
---

Pat LaVarre

2. DCOM on Linux

3. CBX phone setup

4. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

5. Mobile IP: version 2.0beta

6. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

7. difference between [ ... ] and [[ ... ]] in ksh shell

8. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

9. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

10. Fsck problem on (SCO) Unixware

11. sco unix ver 3.4.2 fsck error

12. fsck fsck say I