Free/PD database needed to manage minimal user data for system administration tasks.

Free/PD database needed to manage minimal user data for system administration tasks.

Post by Duncan Ha » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 09:20:46

Postgers from UNiversity of California Berkley.  Its free, avaible on a
wide range of Unix machines and does what you want.   Try one of the
postgres newsgroups for more information.

Duncan Hare

database package (free or PD -- we have ORACLE : on our HP machines, but
we're not getting a Sun license, which is where this : database needs to
run: on a SunOS 4.1.3 machine) to manage user information : such as
username, groups, location, real name, department/division, etc etc.

: Optimally, the database will be query-able from the command line.  e.g.
: we will need to be able to do things like ``show me the usernames of all
: users who are located in Los Angeles'' and have the list of usernames
: dumped to standard output.  Fields should be easy to add on as needed
: as well.  If we need to add a new field to all of the records sometime
: in the near future, it has to be fairly automatic.

: As you can probably tell, I'm no DB guru or admin (and I don't really want
: to be :), we just need something simple to manage a little data.

: Please e-mail replies.

: Thanks
: --

: Jeff Blaine         le0 ni0 et0 en0 ie0 lan0 de0 ec0 ex0 il0 ix0 enet0
: CIESIN Operations   ae0 eth0 ln0 -- Standardize UNIX