BOS/RISC DPX/2-500 vol. admin needs help building a drive.

BOS/RISC DPX/2-500 vol. admin needs help building a drive.

Post by Mark Beck » Sun, 12 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

For the usual reasons, I need to build a bootable hard drive for a
BOS/RISC DPX/2-500 system.  This is in addition to the two drives
currently on the system (one is bootable and has the root partition
and swap space on it, the other is for users).

The drive I'm trying to use for this was salvaged out of another
system and had been formatted with a different block size than the
existing system.

BOS bombs right back to it's PROM monitor when it can't figure out the
SCSI stuff coming out of the drive.  So I have to run the standalone
formatter.

Starting the formatter (format.std) from tape is trivial.  Knowing
what to tell the thing is something else.  This machine (MIPS-6000
based) is pretty much an orphan (it's at this academic institution and
there is no support.  Hmm.. *I'm* the support (?)) and I don't know of
anyone in the Boston area I can telephone and ask questions.

Is there anyone out there familiar enough with BOS/RISC to give me a
couple of hints as to what to tell the formatter?  I've done a good
deal of RTFM *it* tells me to "telephone MIPS tech support for
information on 'unusual' drive configurations."

Your time is appreciated..

Regards,
Mark
+----------------------------------------+--------------------------+

+----------------------------------------+--------------------------+

1. Need advice on installing 9GB drive on ANS 500

Hi!

I am trying to install and mount a 9GB drive into an AIX server running on
an Apple Network Server 500/132 running AIX 4.1.4. and I am new to the ways
of AIX.  Most of my Unix experience is with Linux.

I got the drive installed, and after the reboot, the server saw it.  I
created a Physical volume for it. Now I am trying to figure out how this
logical volume stuff works.

I would like to create a logical volume that uses up the entire 9GB physical
volume.  When I try to do so and format it, it asks me for the size of the
block cluster and information on creating a journalling volume.  At this
point, I am clueless.  I have no documentation on this computer much less
any documentation on AIX.

Could anyone point to me a great book or web site that talks about the
details of creating and mounting new drives in AIX for ANS 500, especially
on getting the journaling and proper cluster size right.

Thanks much!
Fran

2. automount for NIS

3. Help! Need Old Version for NCR 3B2-500

4. Dual Pentium II machine - any thoughts

5. need help with yaboot & g4/500

6. AutoDial

7. I need help writing a Korn script to create 500 users.

8. NBPI and filesystems larger then 64Gb, 8K or 16K what do you think ?

9. NTPv4: 500 ppm drift in AIX 4.2 (Need Help)

10. Novice Unix User needs help with HTTP 500 error

11. Need help with ISODE/X.500/OSI networking

12. FS: Dec Alphastation 500/500 Must sell

13. rom14, rom14.500, rom22.500