X windows: xterm gives "couldn't find per display info"

X windows: xterm gives "couldn't find per display info"

Post by bmla » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Trying to start an X Window to my NT box running Reflection with the
following command from a telnet session :

xterm -display <pc's IP>:0

I got the error messages:

Can't open display
Error: couldn't find per display info

The telnet session itself is indeed an X-application emulating the VT100
(or VT240?) terminal, anyway, dumb 24 by 80 chars, put and paste with
mouse device not supported.

The unix box is running HP-UX, uh ... I think version 10. The IP address
is not in /etc/hosts but I am not the root user and if possible I dont
want to bother the admin. Does any one know the reason for the error or
better yet the fix?

Thanks!

 
 
 

X windows: xterm gives "couldn't find per display info"

Post by Andrew Bacch » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00


I use Reflection X on my NT box and connect to a FreeBSD server.  Did you
set your environment on Unix to output the display to NT?  Try 'set
DISPLAY=my_NT_IP_address' if using csh, or 'set DISPLAY my_NT_IP_address' if
using bash.  Then reissue your xterm command.

Another solution is to use Reflextion X from NT to 'pull' a session from
Unix.  Start Reflection X and look for a generic Unix session definition.
Edit the properties to point to your Unix box and it should work easily.


> Trying to start an X Window to my NT box running Reflection with the
> following command from a telnet session :

> xterm -display <pc's IP>:0

> I got the error messages:

> Can't open display
> Error: couldn't find per display info

> The telnet session itself is indeed an X-application emulating the VT100
> (or VT240?) terminal, anyway, dumb 24 by 80 chars, put and paste with
> mouse device not supported.

> The unix box is running HP-UX, uh ... I think version 10. The IP address
> is not in /etc/hosts but I am not the root user and if possible I dont
> want to bother the admin. Does any one know the reason for the error or
> better yet the fix?

> Thanks!


 
 
 

X windows: xterm gives "couldn't find per display info"

Post by Kai Glsne » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>Trying to start an X Window to my NT box running Reflection with the
>following command from a telnet session :

>xterm -display <pc's IP>:0

...wasn't it a "xterm -display <pc's IP>:0.0" ?
Quote:

>I got the error messages:

>Can't open display
>Error: couldn't find per display info

>The telnet session itself is indeed an X-application emulating the VT100
>(or VT240?) terminal, anyway, dumb 24 by 80 chars, put and paste with
>mouse device not supported.

>The unix box is running HP-UX, uh ... I think version 10. The IP address
>is not in /etc/hosts but I am not the root user and if possible I dont
>want to bother the admin. Does any one know the reason for the error or
>better yet the fix?

>Thanks!

 
 
 

X windows: xterm gives "couldn't find per display info"

Post by Chuck Dillo » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00


This would be better asked in comp.windows.x* but it indicates a
problem internal to the program.  The error is being generated
by the Xt library.  It implies that the Xt library
you are running against is confused.  Check which shared libraries
your are running with.  Most likely you need to fiddle with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  If you built xterm yourself you might have linked
in the wrong order.  In a Motif app you have to link Xm before Xt
because Xm overrides some Xt objects.  It could be the same applies
to the Athena widgets and Xt.

-- ced


> Trying to start an X Window to my NT box running Reflection with the
> following command from a telnet session :

> xterm -display <pc's IP>:0

> I got the error messages:

> Can't open display
> Error: couldn't find per display info

> The telnet session itself is indeed an X-application emulating the VT100
> (or VT240?) terminal, anyway, dumb 24 by 80 chars, put and paste with
> mouse device not supported.

> The unix box is running HP-UX, uh ... I think version 10. The IP address
> is not in /etc/hosts but I am not the root user and if possible I dont
> want to bother the admin. Does any one know the reason for the error or
> better yet the fix?

> Thanks!

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer
Genetics Computer Group, a subsidiary of Oxford Molecular
 
 
 

X windows: xterm gives "couldn't find per display info"

Post by bmla » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Andrew Bacchi schrieb:

Quote:> I use Reflection X on my NT box and connect to a FreeBSD server.  Did you
> set your environment on Unix to output the display to NT?  Try 'set
> DISPLAY=my_NT_IP_address' if using csh, or 'set DISPLAY my_NT_IP_address' if
> using bash.  Then reissue your xterm command.

I set the env variable and the problem remains. Maybe it is indeed a problem
with the xterm binary?

Quote:

> Another solution is to use Reflextion X from NT to 'pull' a session from
> Unix.  Start Reflection X and look for a generic Unix session definition.
> Edit the properties to point to your Unix box and it should work easily.

I already got a session from Unix using the Reflection binary x2win.exe. But
this starts a VT100 terminal emulation which is a joke compared to real
X-Windows. With Exceed, I remember one can start an Exceed binary which will
pull a real X-Windows session to the the NT box. I went to the Reflections
binary directory and could not find anything that seems close. Any idea here?


> > Trying to start an X Window to my NT box running Reflection with the
> > following command from a telnet session :

> > xterm -display <pc's IP>:0

> > I got the error messages:

> > Can't open display
> > Error: couldn't find per display info

> > The telnet session itself is indeed an X-application emulating the VT100
> > (or VT240?) terminal, anyway, dumb 24 by 80 chars, put and paste with
> > mouse device not supported.

> > The unix box is running HP-UX, uh ... I think version 10. The IP address
> > is not in /etc/hosts but I am not the root user and if possible I dont
> > want to bother the admin. Does any one know the reason for the error or
> > better yet the fix?

> > Thanks!

 
 
 

1. Help: "Couldn't find per display information"

Hi,
The application I'm working on bombs out very frequently with the message:

Couldn't find per display information

and then calls exit(1).

This message comes from the Xt library. The application uses Motif.
Could this be an incompatibility between the version of Xt on the
machine and the version with which the Motif libs were compiled? Any
known solutions for this?

Motif version: 2.1
X libraries version: from XFree86 3.3.3.1
X server: Mach64 server from XFree86 3.3.3.1

The same application runs fine in HPUX, IRIX, AIX, WinNT (with X
devkit from eXceed).

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

--
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| Richard Cognot           | Proceed, with fingers crossed... |
|                          |           /\^^/\                 |

|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| http://www.ensg.u-nancy.fr/~cognot                          |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|

2. Elf32 error on boot

3. STARTX: "No Screens Found"/"Can't find Display"

4. how do i fix root login?

5. xterm gives "can't find usable termcap entry"

6. TPC Board Modem.... ?

7. network failed, and "ifconfig","demsg" gave me this info

8. noarch ? what does it mean?

9. how to use "last" to show "xterm" info?

10. toe -> "toe: couldn't open terminfo file xterm"

11. """"""""My SoundBlast 16 pnp isn't up yet""""""""""""

12. GETSERVBYNAME()????????????????????"""""""""""""

13. Couldn't display "symbol" in netscape.