tar: Directory checksum error

Post by gkrani » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 23:18:50

Hi all , and a Happy New Year

I have the following problem.
I'm trying to transfer some files from a linux machine to a Reliant Unix.
First I use tar cvf and then gzip in order to compress the files.
Using ftp (in binary mode ) I transfer the files to the Reliant.
Then using again the gzip -d I uncompress the tar file and then I try to
extract the tar archive with tar xvf BUT I get the following message :

tar: Problem reading passwd entry: Not a directory
tar: insw/oem-SW-Recomm/oem-SWR/rm/omni_64bit/6.04.2/OMNI-A7IX/reloc
$OMNI_HOME/examples/isup/a7/: owner not changed
tar: Problem reading group entry: Not a directory
tar:
insw/oem-SW-Recomm/oem-SWR/rm/omni_64bit/6.04.2/OMNI-A7IX/reloc/$OMNI_HOME/e
xamples/isup/a7/: group not changed
tar: Directory checksum error

Can anyone tell me what the
  tar: Problem reading passwd entry: Not a directory
  tar: Problem reading group entry
  tar: Directory checksum error
means , and how can I solve it ????

Thanks !!

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 02:24:05

> I'm trying to transfer some files from a linux machine to a Reliant Unix.

> tar: Problem reading passwd entry: Not a directory
> tar: Problem reading group entry: Not a directory

Fix by adding "o" to the tar extraction switches, so it does not depend upon
ownership data.

Quote:> tar: Directory checksum error

This means your source tar file is invalid.  Since you transferred it in binary
mode with FTP, I do not believe that is the problem.  It is possible that Linux
vs Reliant Unix have a big-endian vs little-endian problem, if so do not
compress the file just FTP it intact.  Also, trying dd conv=swab may help.

I suspect the problem is versions of tar, though.  Linux uses GNU-tar IIRC, but
Reliant may use an older format.  Try specifiying your format on the Linux end
and cycle through the available formats.  Given the permission problems, I
think the format used on the Linux end takes more space to encode file
attributes, and that throws off the extraction of the Reliant end.  Old tar,
US tar, ANSI tar, GNU tar ...

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 09:46:53

>>I'm trying to transfer some files from a linux machine to a Reliant Unix.

>>tar: Problem reading passwd entry: Not a directory
>>tar: Problem reading group entry: Not a directory

> Fix by adding "o" to the tar extraction switches, so it does not depend upon
> ownership data.

>>tar: Directory checksum error

> This means your source tar file is invalid.  Since you transferred it in binary
> mode with FTP, I do not believe that is the problem.  It is possible that Linux
> vs Reliant Unix have a big-endian vs little-endian problem, if so do not
> compress the file just FTP it intact.  Also, trying dd conv=swab may help.

> I suspect the problem is versions of tar, though.  Linux uses GNU-tar IIRC, but
> Reliant may use an older format.  Try specifiying your format on the Linux end
> and cycle through the available formats.  Given the permission problems, I
> think the format used on the Linux end takes more space to encode file
> attributes, and that throws off the extraction of the Reliant end.  Old tar,
> US tar, ANSI tar, GNU tar ...

        Yes, as LINUX isn't a UNIX system, there tend to be problems operating in
such a heterogeneous environment.  Your best bet is to get rid of the
LINTEL boxes and install UNIX systems in their place.  That way you will
be standards compliant and problems such as this will be minimized.

                Hope this helps,
                    Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

tar: Directory checksum error

Post by Mike Pop » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 13:27:11

So you even trash those that are in the process of doing execly as you wish?
*!

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 12:44:11

> So you even trash those that are in the process of doing execly as you wish?

        Where do you see me "trash(ing)" anyone who is "in the process of doing
execly [sic] as (I) wish", Mikey?  I simply pointed out to the boy the
problems with mixing UNIX and LINTEL systems.  Putting UNIX systems
together with non UNIX systems such as LINUX, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenVMS,
etc. always leads to administrative headaches.

                Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                                Don

--

Post by Andrew Robertso » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 00:51:27

>> So you even trash those that are in the process of doing execly as you
>> wish?

> Where do you see me "trash(ing)" anyone who is "in the process of doing
> execly [sic] as (I) wish", Mikey?  I simply pointed out to the boy the
> problems with mixing UNIX and LINTEL systems.  Putting UNIX systems
> together with non UNIX systems such as LINUX, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenVMS,
> etc. always leads to administrative headaches.

> Happy to have cleared things up for you,
> Don

Did Microsoft or some other loathsome company clone you in a dirty bathtub
or what?  In fact, I have ignored you until this morning, but now I see
that you haven't helped one person out at all.  Jeez.

How's life under the bridge?

1. tar -xvf mozilla.tar = tar: directory checksum error

hi

I have downloaded the mozilla source twice from their web site. I
download it at school using RH 7.1 & 6.2 and then I copyed it onto my
zip disk and carried it home and ftp it from my RH 7.1 machine to
solaris. both times and also once when I made a tar of my own I get a
directory checksum error. I am very sure the files are the correct size.

I see that I have options to use -i ignore with the solaris tar program
and I use star and it extracts without error.

Does anyone else consistently get errors with solaris's tar program and
large file's?. I don't get any error's when I gunzip or bunzip2 them.

It seems funny- I have always used gzip and bzip to sort of protect my
tar files from checksum errors I always expect to get the error with
them first.

Is it the mozilla download?  or is it the diffrence between- every one
else using a diffrent version of tar like gnu? or can anyone see
anything I am doing wrong?

I never get errors with small files < 20 meg that I can remember, but
the last couple mozilla and the one I made were a little over 200meg
uncompressed.

THis isn't really a big problem because star and -i work but I am still
very concerned about the stability of my files.

Thanks
dm

2. sformat disk database

3. tar, directory checksum error

4. Concept behind Hard Hat Linux

5. Tar : directory checksum error

6. rwt permissions on linux--whats with the t?

7. tar: directory checksum error

8. Java

9. TAR-Directory CheckSum Error

10. tar: directory checksum error???????????

11. tar: directory checksum error (PLEASE HELP)

12. tar: directory checksum error

13. tar : directory checksum error