Unix/NT Time synchronization

Post by Bruno Fabr » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone have any experience synchronizing the time of an NT system
with a unix server?

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone have any experience synchronizing the time of an NT system
> with a unix server?

        Yes.  We just run NTP (or equivalent) on them and have them all
sync to one of our cesium beam clocks.  It tends to work very well.
To lessen the load of them all hitting directly off the clocks, we
usually pick one machine of each logical grouping to hit the clock
directly and have the other machines in the room/LAN segment/domain
get their time from him.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Unix/NT Time synchronization

Post by Mario Stargar » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Bruno:
        You can either set up NTP on the NT boxes or set up Samba on a UNIX
host and run net time /set /yes from 'at' on the NT boxes.

        Regards,
                Mario

> Does anyone have any experience synchronizing the time of an NT system
> with a unix server?

Unix/NT Time synchronization

Post by Matt Steinhof » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

.
    I do. It's easy. Though NT has its own time tool but
I like Tardis ( http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/ ). If you
don't already have NTP on your unix host, get a copy
( http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ ).
    Enjoy!

    Matt

> Does anyone have any experience synchronizing the time of an NT
> system with a unix server?

Unix/NT Time synchronization

Post by Mike Wat » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Yes,

I have a Unix server running NTP synchronized from several secondary
servers on the internet.  For info on setting up NTP on Unix please
refer to http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/

Our NT workstations use an NTPTime client written by Tom Horsley.  This
client synchronizes from our Unix NTP server is very easy to set up and
seems to work well.  Please see:
http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/ntptime.html

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Mike-

> Does anyone have any experience synchronizing the time of an NT system
> with a unix server?

Unix/NT Time synchronization

Post by David Coel » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You might also checkout the WinSNTP program from www.coetanian.com.
We've been using this very successfully to synchronize our NT
boxes to our Unix ntp time server.

--

personal productivity tools, inc       http://www.ppt.com
14141 miranda rd                       voice: (650) 917-7000 x101

Unix/NT Time synchronization

Post by Somckit Khemmanivan » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

While we are on this subject of NT NTP. Does anyone know of if any of
the programs mention ( or any other NTP programs) can be run as a
service. I am currently using NIST's NTP utility and I don't think you
can run it as a service.

Thanks.

Somckit
SAP BASIS Admin/DBA

Post by The Milkma » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> While we are on this subject of NT NTP. Does anyone know of if any of
> the programs mention ( or any other NTP programs) can be run as a
> service. I am currently using NIST's NTP utility and I don't think you
> can run it as a service.

Tardis ( http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk ) can be run as a service (get the NT
version).  I run it on my NT box and it performs very well.  Just set the
level of logging correct or it will quickly fill up your Application Event
log.

--

Rich.

|Richard Halfpenny  "Rich"   | BSc Computer Science Student (4 Years) |
|1st Year Undergraduate      | University Of Bradford, England BD7 1DP|

|Engineer type bloke at *RamAir* - The BEST UK student radio station! |
------- Visit and listen to RamAir at http://www.ramairfm.co.uk -------

Remove spamhater from.. (blah blah blah) before attemping to email me.

              "It is I, Simon Quinlack, the chief
                    conductor of the bus that is called Hobby"

Unix/NT Time synchronization

Post by Mike Wat » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Somckit,

The NTPTime client that I mentioned below runs as a service under
Windows NT.

-Mike-

> Hi,

> While we are on this subject of NT NTP. Does anyone know of if any of
> the programs mention ( or any other NTP programs) can be run as a
> service. I am currently using NIST's NTP utility and I don't think you
> can run it as a service.

> Thanks.

> Somckit
> SAP BASIS Admin/DBA

> > Yes,

> > I have a Unix server running NTP synchronized from several secondary
> > servers on the internet.  For info on setting up NTP on Unix please
> > refer to http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/

> > Our NT workstations use an NTPTime client written by Tom Horsley.  This
> > client synchronizes from our Unix NTP server is very easy to set up and
> > seems to work well.  Please see:
> > http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/ntptime.html

> > Let me know if you have any specific questions.

> > -Mike-

> > > Does anyone have any experience synchronizing the time of an NT system
> > > with a unix server?

1. Time synchronization with NT!

The task I have been given is to synchronize the time on my TRU64 Unix box
with an NT4.0 server. Tried timeserve from the nt resource kit but does not
seem to work this way round (NT synch with Unix no prob but have to do it
the other way around)
Is there a utility out there either for the Unix or NT box that will solve
my problem? It is an enclosed system so I can't synch them both off the same
public NTP server.
Any help gratefully received

2. Quick firewall question

3. Time synchronisation between NT 4 and HPUX

4. localhost nslookup weirdness

5. Unix/NT password synchronisation

6. market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

7. NT - UNIX password synchronization

8. Apache with PHP

9. User account Synchronization NT to Unix

10. Unix Servers Time Synchronization

11. Time synchronization : IBM Mainframe - UNIX

12. time synchronization ('timed')

13. Time synchronisation using timed