restoring files from V old dump tape

Post by Stevie Herbert Sacki » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I have been asked to try to retrieve some files from
magnetic tape which were apparently archived with a
level 0 dump on some sort of old masscomp running
RTUv5. The machine in question is no longer with us
and has been replaced with Suns. Unfortunately, I have
been unable to get very far with the sunos restore
program... I have managed to read the tape (with dd)
but can't do much with the output.

has anyone any bright ideas on how to tackle this
problem? Any feedback would be most gratefully received.

yours,

stevie sackin

1. Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

Hi,

I have performed dump of several partitions on a type in a Mammoth
drive. Then I tried to look at them by "restore", and I could access the
first partition. After that I ran "restore" once again, and I expected
that I would see the list of the files in the second partition. Instead,
all I got was the message "Tape is not a dump tape". When I ran "mt
status", it showed that I still am at the file 0. I also could not
advance by "mt fsf" - it exits immediately, and the status is the same.

I tried to backup two small directories, and I had no trouble restoring
them later. But when I backup whole partitions, I keep getting this
error.

I have Redhat 6.1.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Simon
--
 _________

| y = e   |                                    (current address)
|_________|   Life is file...
http://www.simonf.com

Disclaimer: This is not me.                    (lifetime address)
This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...

2. Red Hat system start up

3. unix dump: dumped twice to same dumpfile; restore if file displays only last dump

4. PCI NIC on RS/6000?

5. Dump/Restore problem: multiple dumps per Travan 5 tape

6. <Q> Read/Write to tty

7. Retrieving files from damaged tape? (dump/restore)

8. Help! the 24 hour reboot virus has us!

9. dump/restore:can't find 2nd file on tape

10. Amanda -> amrestore / restore problem 'Tape is not a dump Tape'

11. dump/restore & inodes - are old backups obsolete ?

12. DUMP/RESTORE File -> TAR File Converter?

13. Stupid Questions: Sun 8mm dump tape =>AIX 8mm dump tape