Easy way to query active user accounts?

Post by Dani » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 04:17:57

I need to find a way to query user accounts that are no longer in use
but still active. Is there a command to show the last time an account
was used?

Thanks,
Daniel

Easy way to query active user accounts?

Post by ilyas guennou » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:25:32

How do you consider a user as not a susrr anymore ?

you can lock as much account as you want (all ) then you will receive as
many complains as Active user.

Post by Michael Jarrel » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:23:11

> I need to find a way to query user accounts that are no longer in use
> but still active. Is there a command to show the last time an account
> was used?

> Thanks,
> Daniel

Daniel,

Have you tried `last`?

Mike Jarrells

Post by Laurent-ja » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 06:08:55

> I need to find a way to query user accounts that are no longer in use
> but still active. Is there a command to show the last time an account
> was used?

> Thanks,
> Daniel

Yes, if you run accounting. acctcom will give you the a list that
contains
command, username and endtime of the program. That, together with a ps
-ef
should give you a good idea who has been active the last time (depends a
bit
on the accounting period you save).

--

reproduced, read or seen, dead or alive or by any means, including
but not limited to telepathy  without the benevolence of the author.

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 02:52:13

> I need to find a way to query user accounts that are no longer in use
> but still active. Is there a command to show the last time an account
> was used?

It depends on what you mean by "used".  "last" and other programs that
refer to wtmpx/wtmp/utmpx/utmp tell when an account last logged in, if
you have not trimmer those *tmp* files recently.  There's more to life
than logins, though.

I like to run a find to figure what how recently the *files* in a
directory tree have been referenced.  Of course, you can't include the
directories in the find because find itself references those, so every
directory tree will always appear current.

It would suck if a group of developers were using an inactive user's
libraries in their builds and you deleted that tree, wouldn't it?

Of course, if you use tar for backups, most versions of tar will set
the access times of the files it archives, so you can't use atime to
judge activity.  Yet another reason to use some other backup tool.