"compress" for dos [gzip fans need not reply]

"compress" for dos [gzip fans need not reply]

Post by Angelika M Longac » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a dos utility which would allow a user to compress
and decompress files for de/compression on that holiest of holies, the
RS6000?

The System Administrators here will NOT allow gzip, hell if I know why.

Probably has something to do with maximizing the amount of time it takes
to xfr files...

A-and, if you know the location of a tar utility, that would be cool, too.

Thanks in advance

1. help with "compress" and "gzip"

Hi, I have a whole bunch of files that I have previously compressed with
the "compress" command of the following type:

a.Z
b.Z
c.Z

etc

I have found that "gzip" is available on my machine and appears to be much
more efficient at compressing my files.  Thus, I would like to use a single
line of commands to un"compress" the above files, the recompress them using
gzip so that the result would be:

a.gz
b.gz
c.gz

etc.

Is there a simple way of doing this with a single command line?  I have tried
things like the following without success:

uncompress *.Z | gzip

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Joe
-------

2. Compiling Multiple Kernel Sources

3. apt-get through proxy: "gzip: stdin: not in gzip format"

4. Modem Boka V.34 works in Linux? Help.

6. mpc850 question

7. Auto-compressing all output when browser says "Accept-Encoding: gzip": Possible?

8. network booting

9. Gzip: "invalid compressed data...."

11. Getting Sendmail to Read "Reply-To" and "Subject" from file

12. Why "ping" can't recognize the "icmp: echo reply" message ?

13. bootdisk "crc error" or "invalid compressed format"?