Solstice Backup/Legato Networker problem : need label stored on tape, not jukebox

Solstice Backup/Legato Networker problem : need label stored on tape, not jukebox

Post by aeg » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 01:51:18

Hello all,

Maybe it is a basic question, and possibly answered before, but does
anyone know how to read tapelabels stored on the DLT-tape itself when
no barcode label has been put on the tape.

I know from trial by error that in a label operation
( for example: # nsrjb -L -S <slot number> -b "<pool name>" )
when you use a used tape with a new label, it somehow verifies the
label with the label stored on the tape itself ( it returns that label
and asks for an overwrite confirmation )

I don't need to read any other info from the tape, although out of
curiosity any extra information i can get ( from just the tape ) from
the commandline could be interesting:
- Is there a connection with the networker database when the above
command is carried out ?
- Is there any additional info to get from just the media itself

I ask this because some barcode labels in our backup pools are
missing, and i need to verify that these tapes can be recycled or need
to be relabeled with their former barcode label numbers.

The hardware concerned : Sun E420, Storedge L20 jukebox and
Solstice/Legato.

All if indeed any info is appreciated.

Solstice Backup/Legato Networker problem : need label stored on tape, not jukebox

Post by Irvine Shor » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:50:41

<snipped query about Networker>

Suggest you subscribe to the Networker mailing list.

--

Irvine Short

Sys Admin
SANBI, University of the Western Cape, South Africa
http://www.sanbi.ac.za
tel: +27-21-959 3645
cel: +27-82-494 3828