user@host addressing over uucp, HELP!

Post by Karl J. Vesterli » Sun, 25 Oct 1992 15:36:16

        HELP!, I'm being attacked by sendmail.cf on the host that
forwards me E-Mail!

        Situation:

        We/I run Smail 3.1.25 which apparently does everything
correctly for the addressing sending it to the other host.

        The other host is a Sun SparcStation 2 running the Sendmail
bundled with 4.1.2 SunOS...  Here is the problem...

        Mail comes back to me mangled with "host!ourhost!user"
addressing in the "From: " line.

        It has been determined via the following procedure that the
addressing is being handled incorrectly by the other host.

        I had the system administrator send me E-mail from the other
host, and also a uustat, and a cat of the mail that was queued up for

passed to rmail for delivery to my machine, and it was reflected in
the uustat.

        However, sendmail generated "!" path addressing in the "From:
" line from that host!

        My question is, since I've been trying to get this resolved
for the past 6 months, where do I have to tell the other guy to look
to correct the problem in his "sendmail.cf", or whatever!

        HELP!

        Thanks in advance...

Karl J. Vesterling                      |       it.

Post by Todd A. Scalzo » Tue, 03 Nov 1992 22:27:41

>   Newsgroups: comp.unix.admin
>   Date: 24 Oct 92 06:36:16 GMT

>       HELP!, I'm being attacked by sendmail.cf on the host that
>   forwards me E-Mail!

>       I had the system administrator send me E-mail from the other
>   host, and also a uustat, and a cat of the mail that was queued up for

>   passed to rmail for delivery to my machine, and it was reflected in
>   the uustat.

>       However, sendmail generated "!" path addressing in the "From:
>   " line from that host!

>       My question is, since I've been trying to get this resolved
>   for the past 6 months, where do I have to tell the other guy to look
>   to correct the problem in his "sendmail.cf", or whatever!

BTW, your determination of whose problem it is points it at yourself, not the
other machine.

I am assuming that this is a UUCP connection, which is what it sounds like.

UUCP-style addresses when it gets to your machine.  You can attack this at
either your machine, or the other one.  What I did was added an additional
mail and two rulesets for a smart UUCP host that can handle DNS addresses.

I did this by adding the following mailer spec:

Msmartuucp,     P=/usr/bin/uux, F=CmsDFMhuU, S=15, R=25, M=100000,
        A=uux - -r -gC $A!rmail ($u)

And then followed with rulesets 15 and 25, which call the S= and R= rulesets
of my tcp mailer.  In my case, those are rules 14 and 24, respectively:

S15

S25

One other possible hitch:  on my system, uux would complain that the resulting
DNS address was not uucp-style.  So, my ruleset 15 is really as below.  What I
do is append the UUCP hostname (in $A with DA____).  This is okay, because the
UUCP host will strip it's host name off the front, leaving the valid DNS spec.

S15
R$+             $:$>14$1             start with same as tcp mailer
R$+             $:$A!$1                 prefix with "host!"
--

    Kastle Development Associates                   ...!uunet!friend!todd
        Arlington, VA, USA

Post by Thomas Wolfr » Sat, 07 Nov 1992 08:58:58

>I am assuming that this is a UUCP connection, which is what it sounds like.

>UUCP-style addresses when it gets to your machine.  You can attack this at
>either your machine, or the other one.  What I did was added an additional
>mail and two rulesets for a smart UUCP host that can handle DNS addresses.
>I did this by adding the following mailer spec:
>Msmartuucp, P=/usr/bin/uux, F=CmsDFMhuU, S=15, R=25, M=100000,
>    A=uux - -r -gC $A!rmail ($u)
>And then followed with rulesets 15 and 25, which call the S= and R= rulesets
>of my tcp mailer.  In my case, those are rules 14 and 24, respectively:
>S15

>S25

>One other possible hitch:  on my system, uux would complain that the resulting
>DNS address was not uucp-style.  So, my ruleset 15 is really as below.  What I
>do is append the UUCP hostname (in $A with DA____).  This is okay, because the
>UUCP host will strip it's host name off the front, leaving the valid DNS spec.
>S15
>R$+         $:$>14$1             start with same as tcp mailer
>R$+         $:$A!$1                 prefix with "host!"

This was the same for me, but some time ago I read a hint and my smart uucp
mailer defintion is following:

Msmartuucp,     P=/usr/bin/uux, F=DFMhu, S=28, R=29, M=100000,
                A=uux - -r -gC $h!rmail ($u)

I don't know the meanings of all these 'F'lags, but I'm quite sure that
the absence of the flag 'U' is the reason why my smart mailer doesn't
complain about DNS addresses.

regards,
Thomas

PS:
Rules S28 S29:

S28

S29
# empty

--
  Thomas Wolfram, European Advanced Networking Test Center
  (Process Computing Center, Technical University of Berlin)

1. host not found with uucp addresses?

we have users who have friends at uucp connected sites. how do we
get sendmail to deliver these.... *sigh*

we also have same question for .bitnet addresses.

                        fuzzy

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 22:57:25 -0500

Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server: sage.uucp: host not found)

The original message was received at Thu, 30 Nov 1995 22:57:13 -0500

   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----

found)