Backspace mapping question.

Post by Jason Eckda » Fri, 02 Sep 1994 13:11:52

I have a Wyse 60 terminal connected to my server running SCO Unix and am
having trouble getting the backspace key to always work in both Lotus
1-2-3 and WordPerfect 5.1
The problem is as follows:
The Lotus 1-2-3 manuals tell me to map the backspace key to "^B" using
the select option of the terminal.  Backspace works fine in both the
operating system and Lotus 1-2-3 as long as I "stty erase "^B" " in order
pick up the new map.
However, after I run wordperfect map I just made (in the select option of
the wyse 60) it reset to the original "^H"

Lotus tells me that it must have "^B"

What I want to do is place a command in my Lotus startup script that will
translate any "^H"'s into "^B"'s (the "^H" ins generated by the backspace
key)
This will avoid the problem of WP resetting the setup on the terminal.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Jason Eckdahl
NSI Nursing Systems Inc.
Saskatoon, Sask.

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 23:23:03

>I have a Wyse 60 terminal connected to my server running SCO Unix and am
>having trouble getting the backspace key to always work in both Lotus
>1-2-3 and WordPerfect 5.1

Quote:>What I want to do is place a command in my Lotus startup script that will
>translate any "^H"'s into "^B"'s (the "^H" ins generated by the backspace
>key)
>This will avoid the problem of WP resetting the setup on the terminal.
>Any Suggestions?

I would approach that from the opposite direction.  Instead of
a script to translated ^h to ^b  use a startup script to init
the terminal backspace key to ^b anytime you enter lotus, and
then reset on exit.   The latter, reset on exit, is something a
good many programs seem to overlook when they diddle with the
keyboard.

--

1. backspace mapping in kvt...

I just re-installed KDE Beta 3 (libc6) on my RedHat 5.0 system only to
discover that my backspace key seems to be mapped incorrectly, but only
when I run kvt.

I've twiddled with the Options->Terminal dialog and neither '^?' or '^H'
works.  No matter what I do, hitting backspace (or the delete key for that
matter) writes a tilde ('~') to the terminal.  This is slowly driving me
mad.

rxvt and xterm both work perfectly and I haven't noticed this problem in
any other K apps.

If anyone has any idea what's going on here I'd really appreciate the
help.  Thanks.

--
Matthew Whitworth
PCNS 313.763.6408

2. mga millenium

3. Linux keyboard mapping for backspace key and shift-tab

4. Qn: Device Drivers

5. Backspace Key Mappings

6. Network Installation (Requested follow-up)

7. HELP: backspace & del not mapped correctly under X

8. Strange behaviour of case in .deliver...

9. Mapping the backspace key

10. Mapping of backspace and delete in XFree86

11. Backspace and Delete key mappings

12. how can i map my <backspace> key to be <delete>?

13. Backspace/Del mapping in Linux.