help setting up Mail

Post by kingsle » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi

We need to set up mail, especially internet mail on an AIX computer.
We are running on an RS6000/S70 box , using AIX 4.3

Can anybody tell me how to set up mail or where to start ????

Please direct responces to the following address

Thanks in advance

Kingsley

help setting up Mail

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

|We need to set up mail, especially internet mail on an AIX computer.
|We are running on an RS6000/S70 box , using AIX 4.3
|
|Can anybody tell me how to set up mail or where to start ????

Unix generally comes with sendmail.  Look for the sendmail.cf
file somewhere on your system and read it.  You can either stick
with IBM's sendmail (but check for security APARs) and follow
IBM's instructions for configuring it, or you can get the latest
version from http://www.sendmail.org which may have additional
features (e.g. improved relay control and anti-junkmail features)
and additional configuration options.  Note that if this computer
is directory connected to the internet, and the mail server running
on it does not have relay control, it can be hijacked to send
huge quantities of junkmail, with bounces and angry replies coming
back to you.

You may want to see the newsgroup comp.mail.sendmail .

Alternatively, you can also look into other mail programs like
vmailer (http://www.vmailer.org) or qmail (http://www.qmail.org)
to replace sendmail.

If you need to allow MacOS or Microsoft users mail access, add a
POP and/or IMAP server.  Qualcomm and University of Washington
have free ones that work with sendmail.  Mail clients that do POP
and/or IMAP for MacOS or Microsoft should be readily available.

help setting up Mail

Post by Michael Martine » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> |Can anybody tell me how to set up mail or where to start ????

> Unix generally comes with sendmail.  Look for the sendmail.cf
> file somewhere on your system and read it.

That's horrible advice. There's no way you could figure out how sendmail
works by
reading it's .cf file.

Start by reading the O'Reilly book called "sendmail" by Bryan Costales.

--
Michael Martinez

help setting up Mail

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

|> |Can anybody tell me how to set up mail or where to start ????
|>
|> Unix generally comes with sendmail.  Look for the sendmail.cf
|> file somewhere on your system and read it.
|
|That's horrible advice. There's no way you could figure out how sendmail
|works by
|reading it's .cf file.

Unless the sendmail.cf file came from a vendor who made one up to be
easy to modify for simple configurations (such sendmail.cf files usually
have many comments pointing out what exactly the user is expected to
change), and the user has no need for configurations not anticipated
by the vendor sendmail.cf file, nor has any need for features of sendmail
releases newer than the vendor's version.

Perhaps I should have added:  If nothing in the sendmail.cf file
makes any sense to you, look for your vendor's Sendmail documentation,
http://www.sendmail.org, comp.mail.sendmail, and the O'Reilly Sendmail
book.

help setting up Mail

Post by Michael Martine » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> |> Unix generally comes with sendmail.  Look for the sendmail.cf
> |> file somewhere on your system and read it.
> |
> |That's horrible advice. There's no way you could figure out how sendmail
> |works by
> |reading it's .cf file.

> Unless the sendmail.cf file came from a vendor who made one up to be
> easy to modify for simple configurations (such sendmail.cf files usually
> have many comments pointing out what exactly the user is expected to
> change), and the user has no need for configurations not anticipated
> by the vendor sendmail.cf file, nor has any need for features of sendmail
> releases newer than the vendor's version.

If you just need to change it for your domain, hostname and things like
that, minimal
documentaiton works. But if you'll never understand how it works. You won't
understand the rule
sets, or the delivery agents. Plus you might need to change flags for your
delivery agents.

--
Michael Martinez