ipconfig problems

Post by andy.whittl » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

on Sparc Ultra5
Solaris 2.5.1 ( I think )

is there a maximum number of ip addresses that a unix box can listen for on
one ethernet interface??

Andy Whittle

ipconfig problems

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> on Sparc Ultra5
> Solaris 2.5.1 ( I think )

> is there a maximum number of ip addresses that a unix box can listen for on
> one ethernet interface??

        Am I missing something or does this question not make any sense?
You don't "listen for" IP addresses.  Each NIC *has* an IP address
assigned to it.  There may well be some maximum number of active
sessions (e.g. TELNET, FTP, etc...) that the box can handle through
that interface at one time but I would figure even a SUN would run
out of 10Mb bandwidth before it got there.

        If you would re-phrase the question, perhaps I could be of some
assistance.

                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

ipconfig problems

Post by Aaron Baughe » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > on Sparc Ultra5
> > Solaris 2.5.1 ( I think )
> > is there a maximum number of ip addresses that a unix box can listen
> > for on one ethernet interface??
> Am I missing something or does this question not make any sense?

It makes plenty of sense.  Quite a few unixen allow you to bind
multiple IP's to a single interface (IP aliasing).  This is one way to
get multiple web domains on a single machine -- assign multiple IP's,
and have the web server respond accordingly based on which IP it is
reached at.

As to the original question, there's no general limit that I know of,
but it could vary based on the OS.  Back when virtual web domains were
a new thing, you could do multiple IP's it on Linux, but not on NeXT
or Irix.  I think by now most systems will do it.

Aaron
--

Extreme Systems Consulting - http://haruchai.rnet.com/esc/
CGI, Perl, Java, and Linux/Unix Administration

ipconfig problems

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > > on Sparc Ultra5
> > > Solaris 2.5.1 ( I think )
> > > is there a maximum number of ip addresses that a unix box can listen
> > > for on one ethernet interface??
> > Am I missing something or does this question not make any sense?

> It makes plenty of sense.  Quite a few unixen allow you to bind
> multiple IP's to a single interface (IP aliasing).  This is one way to
> get multiple web domains on a single machine -- assign multiple IP's,
> and have the web server respond accordingly based on which IP it is
> reached at.

        Yes, someone brought that up to me on e-mail.  "IP aliasing" or
"virtual addresses".  I guess the terminology of 'listening for
addresses' threw me off.  Glad to see someone else picked up the
ball and answered the question.

                              Don

--

Post by Mike Di Fulvi » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> on Sparc Ultra5
> Solaris 2.5.1 ( I think )

> is there a maximum number of ip addresses that a unix box can listen for on
> one ethernet interface??

> Andy Whittle

This is often done by ISP's to allow many 'sites' to share a single
interface. In this way, the DNS record directs the caller to the same
system IP and the Web Server determines the correct 'site' via the call
and the entry found in the http.conf file (in the case of Apache) and
serves up the proper content.

More to your question...each Ethernet interface can handle this type of
sharing of resources up to a max of 255. Anything above 255 creates
problems and should be avoided. I have done the same thing with
ARIX,SOLARIS, and LUNIX.

Good luck and I hope I have helped you.....

--
Michael P. Di Fulvio                   W3 Solutions Group Inc.
UNIX/Internet Consultants       Project Management - Y2K Analysis

--

ipconfig problems

Post by Michael Stil » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

255 out of the box.

Go to: http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q4.10

4.10) How can I have multiple addresses per interface?

Solaris 2.x provides a feature in ifconfig that allows having more than one IP
address per interfaces. Undocumented but existing prior to 2.5, documented in
2.5 and later.

Syntax:

        ifconfig IF:N ip-address up

where "IF" is an interface (e.g., le0) and N is a number between 1 and <MAX>.
Removing the pseudo interface and associated address is done with "ifconfig
IF:N 0.0.0.0 down".

As with physical interfaces, all you need to do is make the appropriate
/etc/hostname.IF:X file.

The maximum number of virtual interfaces, <MAX> above, is 255 in Solaris
releases prior to 2.6. Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 2.5.1 with the Solaris Internet
Server Supplement (SISS) allow you to set this value with ndd, upto a hard
maximum of 8192.

/usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/ip ip_addrs_per_if 4000

There's no limit inspired by the code; so if you bring out adb you can increase
the maximum even further.

--
Michael Still, Network Manager, Natsem, University of Canberra, Australia
Phone: 02 6201 2752 or +61414 382 568

WWW:   http://natsem.canberra.edu.au/www/michaels (Including some interesting
links)

1. ipconfig problems

Hi,

[I asked this recently on the linux-net list, but nobody answered. Perhaps
I have more luck here.]

is somebody on this list maintaining the ipconfig (bootp/dhcp) stuff? In
Documentation/nfsroot.txt should be a hint that for the "autoconf"
parameter of "ip=" there is also the possibility to use "dhcp". The
documentation differs from the sourcecode in net/ipv4/ipconfig.c here.

Reading the docs I thought that if you want to use DHCP you also have to
set "ip=bootp", but this goes terribly wrong. I have the impression that
there can be inconsistencies between the compile time- and runtime
configuration. For example, if you only enable dhcp in the kernel
configuration and put "ip=bootp" on the command line the
ip_auto_config_setup function seems to try to interpret the string as an IP
address, which results in ic_myaddr being set to something else than
INADDR_NONE. Afterwards in ic_bootp_recv this is recognized and the
received (correct) DHCPOFFER is silently droped, which is a pain in the ass
to debug ... :-)

Cheers,
Robert

2. Floppy IRQ conflict! HELP!

3. PROBLEM: nfsroot.c + ipconfig.c (2.4.20)

4. Netscape3 on SunOS 4.1.3

5. ipconfig

6. password crackers

7. ipconfig dhcp mtu option support

8. Looking for application similar to Powerpoint or Macromind Director

9. plip & ipconfig Pointtopoint

10. What's the Linux equiv. to NT's ipconfig?

11. ipconfig - multiple IPs - swapping IP effect on alias IPs?

12. IPCONFIG vs. IPADDR

13. 2.5.18: net/ipv4/ipconfig.c minor fix