disappearing xterm windows

Post by Haim [Howard] Rom » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 01:31:26

Sometimes we have a problem with our X terminals, where xterm windows
die.  It happens when they are not being used for a certain amount of
time.  But:

        I have not knowingly configured the xterms (nor xdm) to die
        after a timeout.

        It does not happen on our Sun-4 workstations (running as
        workstations, not X terminals.  The user has to run xinit or
        openwin to enter windowing).

Our X terminals are either NCDs or Sun-3s configured to act as X
terminals.  They all run X11R4 X servers.

They are being served by xdm (part of MIT's X11R5 package) running on
a Sun 4/670MP under SunOS 4.1.3.

Almost all of our users use tcsh.  However, we always check; in most
cases of this problem, the "autologout" variable is NOT set.

Any ideas would be most welcome.  Thanks.

| Systems Staff         | PHONE:  04-294350     (from  inside Israel) |
| Computer Science Dept.|         +972-4-294350 (from outside Israel) |
| Technion              | FAX:    04-294353     (from  inside Israel) |
| 32000 Haifa, Israel   |         +972-4-294353 (from outside Israel) |

1. How Cron job open Xterm window and display outputs to this xterm?

Hi,

Please help.  I tried to set up a cron job to:
1.  Open xterm window
2.  Run my script from this xterm
3.  display any errors or output from the script to this xterm.

The reason I need this because the script that I launch from cron job
required user input and it could NOT feed in with regular <<EOF option.

Thanks

2. Shell and Awk arguments question

3. xterm disappearing

4. Installing a Network Card

5. MacKiDo Counterpoint - Unix and the Macintosh

6. xterm disappearing under Enlightenment

7. equivalent of directCD ?????

8. Xterms, SIGWINCH and the disappearing jobs

9. disappearing xterm

10. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

11. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

12. HOWTO - Run "plain jane" x windows with mulitple xterm windows