RedHat 4.1 Kernel 2.0.27, Log problems........

RedHat 4.1 Kernel 2.0.27, Log problems........

Post by Brad Jone » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have a problem that hopefully someone will be able and willing to help me
with, I tried manually rotating the message log on our server. I did this by
doing a cp to messages.bac and then creatinga  new messages file, now the
systom will not write to the log file, I tried using the touch command, I
have checked the ownership and chmod setting, they are exactly the same as a
freshly installed linux system but still no logging. What can the problem be
and how do i fix it, please please help..

Post by Aaron Baughe » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I have a problem that hopefully someone will be able and willing to
> help me with, I tried manually rotating the message log on our
> server. I did this by doing a cp to messages.bac and then creatinga
> new messages file, now the systom will not write to the log file, I

When you move (or rm and replace) a file that a process already has a
filehandle on, the process doesn't automatically re-attach to what it
sees correctly as a new file.  If you do it this way, you'll need to
kill -HUP syslog to get it to start writing to the new file.

The better solution is to leave the file in place, but empty it by
redirecting /dev/null to it.  Here's the relevant lines of a script I
use for this:

gzip -c messages > messages.o.gz    # might as well compress it
cat /dev/null > messages            # empty the file

--

http://haruchai.rnet.com/esc/ CGI, Perl, Java, and Linux/Unix
Administration

1. RedHat Linux 4.1 Kernel 2.0.27 Log Problems Pleaes Help!

I have a problem that hopefully someone will be able and willing to help me
with, I tried manually rotating the message log on our server. I did this by
doing a cp to messages.bac and then creatinga  new messages file, now the
systom will not write to the log file, I tried using the touch command, I
have checked the ownership and chmod setting, they are exactly the same as a
freshly installed linux system but still no logging. What can the problem be
and how do i fix it, please please help..

TIA,
Brad

2. automount does not use /var/yp/nicknames !!!

3. ICMP Difficulties with RedHat 4.1 and 2.0.27 and.30 Kernels

4. Nessusd problems on Ubuntu

5. RedHat Linux 4.1 Kernel 2.0.27

6. Trouble mounting Linux partition

7. RedHat Linux 4.1 kernel 2.0.27.....

8. Firewall -- need help.. please

9. Netscape 3.01 hang on RedHat 4.1 with kernel 2.0.27 at fvwm95 [HELP]

10. kernel panic in 2.0.27 while installing RedHat 4.1 (LONG)

11. Problem with TRANSMIT / Linux 2.0.27 / Redhat 4.1

12. Kernel build freeze RH 4.1, kernel 2.0.27, AMD k5100

13. Terrible behaviour of NS 4.0b3 under RedHat 4.1 (2.0.27)