problem with root login

Post by S ANCELO » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Sorry for my bad english but i'am french !

the root password has changed since yesterday and the old password don't
work !
nobody have change it
the others password are OK ,the problem is "just" the root password !
i would like to know how i can resolve the problem and i want to log to
the system with root login !

i am a beginner and i can't do this alone without help !
i hope someone can help me
bye and thanks for all.

problem with root login

Post by mark gittin » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

someone must have changed the password. Without root access you will not be
able to fix it, you should be able to boot from CDROM, tape, disk or
whatever, mount the root (containing /etc/) filesystem and edit the
password file or the shadow file depending on your version of UNIX. If you
remove the info in the password field (2nd field) then write it back and
boot normally you should be able to login as root with no password.
hope this helps
Mark

problem with root login

Post by Adam Pric » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

>Sorry for my bad english but i'am french !

>the root password has changed since yesterday and the old password don't
>work !
>nobody have change it
>the others password are OK ,the problem is "just" the root password !
>i would like to know how i can resolve the problem and i want to log to
>the system with root login !

>i am a beginner and i can't do this alone without help !
>i hope someone can help me
>bye and thanks for all.

Is the machine where the password was changed connected to the internet ?
If the answer is yes, then shut it down and assume you have been cracked,
use another machine to talk to comp.security.unix, if not then mark gittins

Hope this helps

Adam

problem with root login

Post by Kenn Mont » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

reboot the system into single user/maintenance mode.
Then you can simply remove the password stanza in /etc/passwd or invalidate
it by adding excess characters.

This is a very invasive method, and will be noticed.
If the password was changed on purpose (likely), then whomever did it will
notice the reboot, and it's purpose.

This is not the way to get root if you are not supposed to have it.

Quote:> Sorry for my bad english but i'am french !

> the root password has changed since yesterday and the old password don't
> work !
> nobody have change it
> the others password are OK ,the problem is "just" the root password !
> i would like to know how i can resolve the problem and i want to log to
> the system with root login !

> i am a beginner and i can't do this alone without help !
> i hope someone can help me
> bye and thanks for all.

1. Problems with root-login

Hello!
I am a Linux-newbie and just one day after the successful installation,
I made a fatal error: I was logged in as root and then I started a
program called "chsh" or something like that. I thought it changes
the Login-welcome-text. So I entered "Hello!". But on the next login, I
had to learn, that it changed my shell for root from "bash" to "Hello!".
If I login now as root, I only get the errormessage "Hello! No such file
or
directory!" and the Login-screen appears. How can I change the shell
back to "bash"?
With my other user, I can login without any problems.

2. Newbie seeks bocca 16 port card

3. Problem with root-login

4. Slackware+Compaq CDRom

5. Login problem with root, but can successfully login with other user to access CDE

6. HP false advertising!!!!

7. Login problem with root, but can login with other user.

8. Bug in memory manag or swapper?

9. No root shell, so root cannot login

10. Login root in KDE login screen failure.

11. root logins & "su" to root

12. su login or using the RHS root login window

13. I changed root's shell and doesn't login as root