reinstalling unix without losing file systems

reinstalling unix without losing file systems

Post by COWB » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am an administrator who has had the oppurtunity to configure several
unix boxes from scratch and i have had to do some reinstalls as well but
ive never had to reinstall unix on a box while maintaining all of the
other existing file systems (except for the file systems on my root disk,
i know im going to have to reslice the root disk). HERES MY QUESTION:

   i am running SVR4 on an NCR 3455  (dual pentium 90) and i am having
trouble  relinking the kernel in an effort to change some tunable
parameters. the errors are due to a large # of bad library files in
/etc/conf/pack.d, and for this reason we want to reinstall unix on the
root disk while maintaing all of the other file systems that are not on
the root disk... to make a long story short how should i reinstall unix
and preserve the other file systems that arent on my root disk. the file
systems on my root disk are /, /usr, and /stand, as well as swap and dump
areas, i know im going to have to restore /etc/vfstab, /etc/hosts,
/etc/uucp/*, /etc/conf/cf.d, and i dont want to lose my current kernel
parameters or other configuration info.... WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO DO
THIS ?   any advice is welcomeMany Thanx

Post by Eric Sarjea » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>    i am running SVR4 on an NCR 3455  (dual pentium 90) and i am having
> trouble  relinking the kernel in an effort to change some tunable
> parameters. the errors are due to a large # of bad library files in
> /etc/conf/pack.d, and for this reason we want to reinstall unix on the
> root disk while maintaing all of the other file systems that are not on
> the root disk... to make a long story short how should i reinstall unix
> and preserve the other file systems that arent on my root disk. the file
> systems on my root disk are /, /usr, and /stand, as well as swap and dump
> areas, i know im going to have to restore /etc/vfstab, /etc/hosts,
> /etc/uucp/*, /etc/conf/cf.d, and i dont want to lose my current kernel
> parameters or other configuration info.... WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO DO
> THIS ?   any advice is welcomeMany Thanx

The first critical thing: backup backup backup!

Make sure you have a complete frozen backup of every filesystem. Even
if everything goes according to plan, it's always possible that
something could go wrong. Complete backup means you bring the system to
single user mode (boot -s) and you perform a complete tar, dump, or
ufsdump. Frozen means you never overwrite the tape, you keep it forever
and keep it unwritable.

The other filesystems that are not on your root disk should
"automatically" be preserved. As long as they are not mounted during
installation, there is no way the os can know about them. Until you
restore /etc/fstab (or /etc/vfstab if it's Sys V), these filesystems
will remain untouched.

btw, where is your /var? Your installation may force you to create a
/var partition, which may mean you might have to mount whatever drive
currently holds /var.

Normally I would plan to restore the entire /etc directory, but it's
clear you're going to have to take some additional steps here. You
might want to carefully catalog the services this particular system is
responsible for. For example; is this a primary or secondary DNS for
your domain? Does it run sendmail? Do you have users (/etc/passwd and
sometimes /etc/shadow)? What sort of nfs services are you using and/or
providing?

Most importantly, don't skimp. Look at _everything_ and write it down.
After you perform a newfs, the only way back is from tape - - and it
sounds like this may not be an easy option in this case.

1. Can File System Partitioning be done without reinstall in RH 7.3?

I'm running Redhat 7.3 (with some patches/updates). I've mistakenly
undersized my /var file system at 100 MB (used to be enough,
but more recent versions of software need more space at certain times).
I'm hoping to avoid a reinstallation (since I've customized my setup a bit).

I have a 6 GB Home partition, and I'd like to use some of that space
(1 GB) for spooling (/var/spool) and (/var/log).  Is it possible to do this
without reinstalling?

Thanks:

BIll M.

2. Help w/ 2.25Mbytes on video card with ET6000

3. Help: Reinstalling Linux Without Losing Everything

4. NSPTTYS maximum?

5. How do I reinstall Linux to a new file system from a running Linux system?

6. Installing mysql 3.22.32 on Free BSD3.3

7. System restore without reinstalling Solaris?

8. Will ppa3 work with other SCSI devices

9. installing drivers from disk-images without reinstalling the system..

10. Making disk bootable without reinstall system from cdrom

11. Recover System without reinstalling OS.

12. How to add scsi adapter to existing system without reinstall?

13. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux