delete & backspace

Post by Theodor Schmi » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:38:27

Hello,

my problem is that I don't get the delete key working on hpux. The
delete key works like the backspace key. The combination control-d works
fine, but not with my editor.

Can anyone help me?

--
Dipl.-Ing. Theodor Schmid

Phone: +49(0)241-80 99393
Fax:   +49(0)241-80 92230
Phone: +49(0)241-80 96830 (Sec.)
Lehrstuhl und Institut fr Leichtbau
RWTH Aachen
Wllnerstr. 7
D-52062 Aachen
Aachen University of Technology
Department of
Aerospace and Lightweight Structures
Wuellnerstr. 7
D-52062 Aachen / Germany

delete & backspace

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:53:39

Quote:>my problem is that I don't get the delete key working on hpux. The
>delete key works like the backspace key. The combination control-d works
>fine, but not with my editor.

you need to properly describe your terminal (emulator) to your system, and
or fix your terminal (emulator) so that it sends the proper sequences, and
or fix your editor so that it expects the sequences actually being sent.
since you don't mention what kind of terminal (emulator?), nor which
editor, nor `where' the delete and control-d keys work, it's difficult to
determine what's really broken.  you probably want to change your terminal
emulator to send DEL instead of BS when backspace is pressed, or perhaps
change the `erase' tty setting.

--
okay, have a sig then

1. Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?

I doubt if anyone can help me with this, as I've searched for hours
trying to find an answer.  I just want my delete key to delete the
character at the current cursor position, rather than performing the
same function as the backspace key.  As it stands, both the delete and
backspace key delete the character previous to the current current
position.  my erase and erase2 stty variables are both set to ^H.
I've tried setting them to ^? using:

stty erase '^?'

but nothing happened.  Someone suggested I try creating a .inputrc
file and including:

"\e[3~": delete-char

But that did nothing.  I've tried setting TERM to vt100, vt220,
cons25, and a few others.  If you know what's going on, please, can
you give me exact steps as to what I should do to get it to work?  I'm
fairly new at using FreeBSD, as I've made apparent by this post :P
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

2. Cyrix Bogomips?

3. DELETE & BACKSPACE

4. Redhat 6.0 -- No lp device!

5. backspace does delete not backspace

6. Mouse not found

7. how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

8. recomend book about proxy

9. Backspace & Delete

10. How to get BACKSPACE & DELETE working with Emacs 19.29 under X?

11. Backspace & Delete

12. xterm & delete/backspace

13. backspace & delete - how to make them work