Block mail based on username, address, subject line

Block mail based on username, address, subject line

Post by Si » Sun, 23 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I would like to block mail from certain users, addresses and based
on certain text in the subject line to my unix account.
I would like to receive the rest of my mail normally.
Is this possible and how can I do it ? I tried using 'procmail'
and 'slocal' but it doesn't work very well. I seem to be losing
my mail that I WANT to receive.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Sid

p.s: Please note that I am a regular user (i.e. I dont have any root
privileges etc.)

Block mail based on username, address, subject line

Post by Vivek Khindr » Sun, 23 Apr 1995 04:00:00

There is a great utility "The Elm Filter", written by Syd Weinstein, and
Dave Taylor.  This utility can also be used to sort incoming mail into folders!
Essential for anyone trying to juggle lots of email.

For more details you can try and write:

Vivek

--
 ___________G_E_O_M_A_T_I_C_S___I_N_T_E_R_N_A_T_I_O_N_A_L___I_N_C____________

  l370 South Service Road,               Voice 905.632.4259  Fax 905.333.0798
  Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7N 3M6    WWW http://www.geomatics.com/

1. Can I block by username in additon to IP address ?

I've a Sun SPARCstation 20 at home, running Solaris 8. I've configured a firewall - see
http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~davek/sun/firewall.html
with IP filter to block (even ping does not work) from every IP address except one - call
it A.B.C.D. There at two problems:

1) Computer A.B.C.D is used by a lot of people, so a lot of people could now ping my
machine and attempt access by ftp/telnet.

2) If A.B.C.D got hacked (I'm not convinced it is very secure), it could be used to gain
access to my home computer somewhat easier, as I trust it.

Would it be possible to prevent telnet/ftp/ping from working unless the person logged into
A.B.C.D had a username of xyz ????

I've installed ssh at home too, so I'm not going to worry unduly about this, but I'm as
much interested in the principle as anything else.

Obviously if someone gained root access on A.B.C.D, they could su to the user xyz, but it
would cut down the chances of them attempting this, if I could block by username too.
--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D,
Senior Research Fellow,

Amateur radio callsign: G8WRB

2. Did I really install Linuxppc5?

3. set mail from address and mail reply adress in Unix command line

4. arch/i386/kernel/bluesmoke.c, kernel 2.4.18

5. Command line mail Solaris ?Subject?

6. Netscape 2.0 for Solaris?

7. How to automatically forward mail depending on Subject: line?

8. SUN paralell port programming

9. Grep Outlook mail subject for a particular line through Linux

10. subject line in mail command

11. How to scan the subject line in Unix mail

12. Subject Line in mail

13. Subject line in cron mail