Restricted Shell Account

Post by jake » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Anyone out there know anything about setting up user accounts with
restricted shells? I know you have to create or modify the account to use
/usr/lib/rsh as the shell. Where I get hazy is setting up the /usr/rbin
directory. The only references I can find say to create the directory, then
copy or link the commands to it that you want to restrict the user to. OK,
this is a dumb question, but how do you do that? I know how to copy and
link files to a directory, but commands? I just don't quite get it. Any
help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
        John

Restricted Shell Account

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Anyone out there know anything about setting up user accounts with
> restricted shells? I know you have to create or modify the account to use
> /usr/lib/rsh as the shell. Where I get hazy is setting up the /usr/rbin
> directory. The only references I can find say to create the directory, then
> copy or link the commands to it that you want to restrict the user to. OK,
> this is a dumb question, but how do you do that? I know how to copy and
> link files to a directory, but commands? I just don't quite get it. Any
> help would be GREATLY appreciated.

This is unix, remember? A command is nothing more than a non-directory
file execute permission set.
--
Kurt J. Lanza

1. Temporary restricted shell accounts: howto

Greetings,

I need to set up a temporary account allowing telnet and netscape on
some solaris 7 machines all located in one room for some visitors who
will spend two weeks here. Normally we have NIS, automount etc on
the department network. Thus a user can typically login on any post.
I just want to create one account for the group of visitors. They
wont need mail, and supposedly just those two commands.

Are there any eays wasy for me to do this?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Minor SAMBA problem (newbie)

3. Alternative editors to vi (for restricted shell accounts)

4. Pioneer DVD writer experiences?

5. Best way for a restricted shell account

6. New or Revised TAs on websco, 960905

7. HELP: DAT should be useable by specific account (restricted shell, etc)

8. Parallel port LS120 drive

9. Restricted (or Captive) Account/Shell

10. Restricted Bash Shell Accounts

11. restricting users with shell accounts

12. restricted shell/restricting login

13. restricted shell or restricted access