under DEC UNIX v4.0d >su - root ?

Post by Nguyen-Dai Qu » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I try "su - root" but I see the message:

How I can obtain this permission ?
Thanks for any idea.
--
Nguyen-Dai Quy
LTAS-Mecanique de la Rupture, Universite de Liege

under DEC UNIX v4.0d >su - root ?

Post by Tom Metzg » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >I try "su - root" but I see the message:

> >How I can obtain this permission ?
> >Thanks for any idea.

> Add your user to /etc/group under "wheel" group.  This is
> part of the BSD-style of admin.

Actually you need to be in group 0 (System) to be able to su root on
DEC Unix 4.0D.  From the "man su" page:

"If no user is  specified, root   is assumed.  Only users who belong to
  group number 0 (system) can   issue su to become root, even with the
  root password.  To remind superusers of their responsibilities, the
  shell substitutes a # (number sign) for its usual prompt."

--
Tom Metzger                     INCOLSA/PALNI Unix Systems Administrator

                   ** SPAM FIGHTER IS IN EFFECT!!
           REMOVE "NOSPAM" FROM MY EMAIL ADDRESS TO REPLY