Remapping bad blocks under Ultrix?

Post by Bryan O'Sulliv » Tue, 24 Nov 1992 03:17:59

I have recently started using a previously idle MicroVAX II running
Ultrix 4.2; unfortunately, the printed manuals were sent to the
recyclers several months ago.

I am having problems with both the root and /usr filesystems; both
report hard errors.  When I booted first, the occasional process
swapping off the root disk used to die, but now the machine dumps
me into single-user mode because fsck complains about hard errors
on / during reboot.  Things have gotten so bad that I can't mount
the /usr filesystem to read manual pages, and fscking the root disk
and trying to use radisk to mark blocks as bad both fail.  Is there
any way I can save things without reformatting the partitions?

        <b
--
SCRG, Department of Computer Science, Trinity College, Dublin

1. HP9000/750 can't remap SCSI disk bad blocks

Dear Colleagues,

My HP 9000/750 with an Instantly Ignited version of HPUX 8.07 doesn't
seem to let me deal with a 3rd party SCSI2 disc that is starting to
show bad blocks.

Surely I can map out these bad blocks?! The only tool I have to do
anything on this sick disc at a low level is mediainit(1m), and
reformatting the disc doesn't fix or map out these bad blocks.

I vaguely remember that the SunOS format(8) program can extract a
disc's defect list, add to it and then rewrite it. I'm not sure at
what level this helps to keep defects out of a filesystem, whether at
the SCSI disc driver level or at the controler level. I can't find any
similar functionality under HPUX.

Would anyone know how I can go about fixing this sort of problem?

Sean Batt

--

-------- Coombs Computing Section - Telephone: +61 6 249 3296 -----
-- Australian National University - GPO Box 4 Canberra City 2601 --

2. How to configure ATI TV out?

3. Bad Block Remap for SCSI and 3.0-Release

4. scsi cd-rom on adaptec 2940UW

5. Bad blocks not getting remapped on Maxtor drive

6. Question !!! about programing !

7. remapping bad blocks on disk

8. Upgrading 2.0.33 kernel

9. Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

10. How do you add a bad block to e2fs bad block list?

11. My bad blocks aren't getting marked bad ...

12. Bad magic number in super-block / Group descriptors look bad

13. EIDE - remapping bad tracks - how?