clone harddisk

Post by Kristiant » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:32:43

Hi guys, can you tell me how to clone a harddisk in UNIX command ?
Because i want perform backup harddisk with boot block & other partition
is the same from existing harddisk.
If the existing harddisk have fail occure, then only replace/attach with
backup harddisk.

If i'm not wrong, there are using dd command ??
According my friend :
In UNIX Solaris the command is :
dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2 bs=16000k
(in single user state), c0t0d0s2->existing disk
c0t1d0s2 -> new/backup disk

How about in UNIX Ware (Novell/SCO) ?
Can you tell me the steps of procedure to perform it
successfully ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Kristianto

clone harddisk

Post by Nate Eldredg » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:13:49

> Hi guys, can you tell me how to clone a harddisk in UNIX command ?
> Because i want perform backup harddisk with boot block & other partition
> is the same from existing harddisk.
> If the existing harddisk have fail occure, then only replace/attach with
> backup harddisk.

> If i'm not wrong, there are using dd command ??
> According my friend :
> In UNIX Solaris the command is :
> dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2 bs=16000k
> (in single user state), c0t0d0s2->existing disk
> c0t1d0s2 -> new/backup disk

> How about in UNIX Ware (Novell/SCO) ?
> Can you tell me the steps of procedure to perform it
> successfully ?

It should be the same.  Just substitute the device names
appropriately.

By the way, bs=16000k seems a bit large to me.  Something like, say,
128k should be at least as efficient and use much less memory.

--

Nate Eldredge

clone harddisk

Post by Rahul Meht » Thu, 03 May 2001 00:27:01

you should mirroring it is best option

> Hi guys, can you tell me how to clone a harddisk in UNIX command ?
> Because i want perform backup harddisk with boot block & other
partition
> is the same from existing harddisk.
> If the existing harddisk have fail occure, then only replace/attach
with
> backup harddisk.

> If i'm not wrong, there are using dd command ??
> According my friend :
> In UNIX Solaris the command is :
> dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2 bs=16000k
> (in single user state), c0t0d0s2->existing disk
> c0t1d0s2 -> new/backup disk

> How about in UNIX Ware (Novell/SCO) ?
> Can you tell me the steps of procedure to perform it
> successfully ?

It should be the same.  Just substitute the device names
appropriately.

By the way, bs=16000k seems a bit large to me.  Something like, say,
128k should be at least as efficient and use much less memory.

--

Nate Eldredge

1. Macintosh, linux, harddisk clone.....

Hey out there!

My girlfriend have a mac (preforma 6300) and i whated to install linux
or windows on it. But i have to backup all the data/games on cd's or
on my pc's harddisk! So here comes a couble of questions:

a) If i connect her Mac formatted harddisk to my linux pc, then can i
mount the filesystem?

b) When i then get the filesystem mounted, then can i make a disk
image/clone of the mac harddisk into a big file and save to my pc
harddrive, for later transfer the image back to the mac harddisk and
the put it back in the mac, boot it up?!

Regards
Thomas Holby

2. Recommend a cheap FAST video card

3. cloning unix harddisk of different size

4. Final Recommendations?

5. cloning a SDS harddisk with dd

6. Future Domain TMC-850M SCSI problem

7. Q:Harddisk copy for cloning

8. KSH Process doesn't die

9. Cloning a harddisk

10. Clone a harddisk

11. Cloning LSM disks and using the clones on 5.1A

12. Made a clone of Linux server and that clone is very ill....

13. Installing on erroneous harddisk