Mounting PC's filesystem as UNIX filesystem with NFS

Mounting PC's filesystem as UNIX filesystem with NFS

Post by Aleksandr Geldenber » Wed, 25 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi, everybody

I would like to mount some of the directories on my PC's as a NFS
directories on UNIX box.  We are running UNISYS SVR4.  This is what I
tried to do:
1.  Started NFS process on UNIX box by issuing
                   sh /etc/init.d nfs start
2.  Created a local directory on UNIX box as a root subdirectory
3.  Made a directory on a PC as shared.
4.  Tried to mount it:
         mount -F nfs -o retry=0 host:unisysft /local
    where
      host - PC.  I put its IP address in the /etc/hosts
      unisysft - the name of the directory on PC.  It was created as a
subdirectory of root.
      /local - local directory on UNIX box.

System responded:
      nfs mount: host:unisysft:server not responding:RPC:Timed out

Please,  advice me the information source where I can find something
about setting up PC's on NFS.  And if I missed something, please show
me my mistakes.  All advices will be very appreciated

Mounting PC's filesystem as UNIX filesystem with NFS

Post by Craig Barret » Wed, 25 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Sir,

        If memory serves me correctly, you are able to mount the DOS file
        system using "pcfs" as the argument to the -F option for the mount
        command. I am speaking Solaris 2.x though. i am including the man
        pages I found for mounting a PC file system. I am running Solaris 2.4.

pcfs(7)                   Special Files                   pcfs(7)

NAME
     pcfs, PCFS - DOS formatted file system

DESCRIPTION
     PCFS is a file system type that allows users  direct  access
     to  files  on  DOS  formatted  disks  from  within the SunOS
     operating system.  Once mounted, a PCFS file system provides
     standard  SunOS  file  operations  and  semantics.  That is,
     users can create, delete, read, and write files  on  an  DOS
     formatted disk.  They can also create and delete directories
     and list files in a directory.

  Mounting File Systems
     PCFS file systems are mounted from diskette  with  the  com-
     mand:

          mount -F pcfs  device-special directory-name

     or you can use:

          mount directory-name

     if the following line is in your /etc/vfstab file:

          device-special -  directory-name pcfs  -  no  rw

     x86:  PCFS file systems are mounted from the hard disk  with
     the command:

          mount - F  pcfs  device-special:logical-drivedirectory-
          name

     or you can use:

          mount directory-name

     if the following line is in your /etc/vfstab file:

      device-special:logical_drive - directory-name  pcfs   -no  rw

     device-special specifies the special block device  file  for
     the  diskette  (/dev/disketten)  or  the  entire  hard  disk
     (/dev/dsk/cntndnp0).

     On x86 systems, logical-drive specifies either the DOS logi-
     cal  drive letter (c through z) or a drive number (1 through
     24).  Drive letter c is equivalent to  drive  number  1  and
     represents  the  Primary  DOS  partition  on the disk; drive
     letters d through  z  are  equivalent  to  drive  numbers  2
     through  24,  and  represent  DOS  logical drives within the
     Extended  DOS  partition.   Note  that  device-special   and

     directory-name specifies the location where the file  system
     is mounted.

     For example, on x86, to mount the Primary DOS partition from
     a hard disk, use:

          mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/cntndnp0:c /pcfs/c

     On x86, to mount the first logical drive in the Extended DOS
     partition from the hard disk, use:

          mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/cntndnp0:d /pcfs/d

     To mount a DOS diskette in the first floppy drive, use:

          mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /pcfs/a

  Conventions
     Files and directories created through PCFS  have  to  comply
     with  the  DOS  file  name  convention, which is of the form
     filename[.ext], where filename consists of from one to eight
     upper-case  characters,  while  the optional ext consists of
     from one to three upper-case characters.  PCFS converts  all
     the  lower-case characters in a file name to upper-case, and
     chops off any extra characters in  filename  or  ext.   When
     displaying file names, PCFS only shows them in lower-case.

     One can use either the DOS FORMAT command, or the command:

          fdformat -d

     in the SunOS system to format a diskette in DOS format.

EXAMPLES
     If you copy a file:

          financial.data

     from a UNIX file system to a PCFS file system, it will  show
     up as:

          FINANCIA.DAT

     on the DOS disk.

     The following file names:

          .login

          test.sh.orig

SunOS 5.4            Last change: 8 Nov 1993                    2

pcfs(7)                   Special Files                   pcfs(7)

          data+

     are considered illegal  in  DOS,  and  therefore  cannot  be
     created through PCFS.

FILES
     /usr/lib/fs/pcfs/mount

SEE ALSO
     eject(1), mount(1M), vfstab(4)
  x86 Only
     fdisk(1M)

NOTES
     The following are all the legal characters that are  allowed
     in file names or extensions in PCFS:

          0-9, a-z, A-Z, and $#&@!%()-{}<>`_\^~|'

     Since SunOS and DOS operating systems use different  charac-
     ter  sets, and have different requirements for the text file
     format, one can use

          dos2unix

     or

          unix2dos

     command to convert files between them.

     PCFS offers a convenient transportation  vehicle  for  files
     between Sun Workstations and PC's. Since the DOS disk format
     was designed for use under DOS, it is quite  inefficient  to
     operate under the SunOS system.  Therefore, it should not be
     used as the format for a regular local storage.  You  should
     It is not recommended to  physically  eject  an  DOS  floppy
     while the device is still mounted as a PCFS file system.

     x86:  When mounting a pcfs file system on a hard  disk,  the
     first block on that device must contain a valid fdisk parti-
     tion table.

     Since PCFS truncates any extra characters in file names  and
     extensions  just as DOS, does, be careful when copying files
     from a  UNIX  file  system  to  a  PCFS  file  system.   For
     instance, the following two files:

          test.data1 test.data2

SunOS 5.4            Last change: 8 Nov 1993                    3

pcfs(7)                   Special Files                   pcfs(7)

     in a UNIX file system will get copied to the same file:

          TEST.DAT

     in PCFS.

BUGS
     PCFS should handle the disk change condition in the same way
     that  DOS,  does,  so that the user does not need to unmount
     the file system to change floppies.  PCFS is  currently  not
     NFS  mountable.   Trying to mount a PCFS file system through
     NFS will fail with an EACCES error.

4ag...@ix.netcom.com (Aleksandr Geldenberg ) wrote:

>Hi, everybody

>I would like to mount some of the directories on my PC's as a NFS
>directories on UNIX box.  We are running UNISYS SVR4.  This is what I
>tried to do:
>1.  Started NFS process on UNIX box by issuing
>                   sh /etc/init.d nfs start
>2.  Created a local directory on UNIX box as a root subdirectory
>3.  Made a directory on a PC as shared.
>4.  Tried to mount it:
>         mount -F nfs -o retry=0 host:unisysft /local
>    where
>      host - PC.  I put its IP address in the /etc/hosts
>      unisysft - the name of the directory on PC.  It was created as a
>subdirectory of root.
>      /local - local directory on UNIX box.

>System responded:
>      nfs mount: host:unisysft:server not responding:RPC:Timed out

>Please,  advice me the information source where I can find something
>about setting up PC's on NFS.  And if I missed something, please show
>me my mistakes.  All advices will be very appreciated

Mounting PC's filesystem as UNIX filesystem with NFS

Post by Bassirou Ba » Wed, 25 Oct 1995 04:00:00

What do you have on the PC side to ensure the communication
between your PCs and the UNIX box?

Sure you need the NFS deamon on UNIX but you also need on the
PC side to have TCP/IP stack installed and running.
You may also need to export the file directories you want to
mount etc...

You may consider some packages like ACADIA, TGV, Chameleon etc...

Regards!

Bassirou Bah

Post by Earl Jone » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>: I would like to mount some of the directories on my PC's as a NFS
>: directories on UNIX box.  We are running UNISYS SVR4.  This is what I

>: System responded:
>:       nfs mount: host:unisysft:server not responding:RPC:Timed out

>You are asking the PC to act as an NFS server. I have not seen any Dos
>or Windows product that will do this, but I heard that Esker might be
>coming out with such a product.

You are correct.  Esker's new version of "tun" has a NFS server for
PC's.  This product is available from Software Clearing House.

--

Director, Open Systems Technology    Phone:     (513) 579-0455  Ext. 240
Software Clearing House, Inc.        FAX:       (513) 579-1064

Mounting PC's filesystem as UNIX filesystem with NFS

Post by Robert Thurl » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    If memory serves me correctly, you are able to mount the DOS file
>    system using "pcfs" as the argument to the -F option for the mount
>    command.

This is for accessing DOS diskettes via the built-in floppy drive,
and is not applicable to the problem at hand.

Rob T
--

There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a Pisces,
probably working for scale.             -- Nick Danger, Third Eye

Post by Jan Just [JJ] Keijs » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>: I would like to mount some of the directories on my PC's as a NFS
>>: directories on UNIX box.  We are running UNISYS SVR4.  This is what I

>>: System responded:
>>:       nfs mount: host:unisysft:server not responding:RPC:Timed out

>>You are asking the PC to act as an NFS server. I have not seen any Dos
>>or Windows product that will do this, but I heard that Esker might be
>>coming out with such a product.

There is also a PD product (Son of Stanley NFS server) and quite a few
shareware products (Tropical NFS server) which do the same thing.

Hope this helps,

Jan Just (JJ) Keijser

-----------------------------
  Jan Just (JJ) Keijser

  My views are my own...

-----------------------------

1. 'Write' to readonly NFS-mounted filesystem?

Is it possible to write virtual to a readonly filesystem?
Here we have a bootflop which is (nfs)mounting a linux-machine
(readonly). Now i can't install/change anything, but i want to.

I heard something it is possible to 'change' a CD-rom, but is this also
possible for NFS-mounting?

Arjan

        Arjan Filius

2. flight simulator

3. Mounting PC filesystems onto a Linux system via NFS

4. Configuring Mail with an @Home connection

5. Mounting a unix filesystem on a PC

6. Emacs from SLS distribution dumps core

7. mounting a unix filesystem on a pc

8. SAI/P cards and serial communication

9. figuring out who's doing what on a NFS mounted filesystem

10. NFS filesystems don't mount at system start

11. Question on NFS - AIX to Linux can't mount using smit and /etc/filesystems

12. setuid program don't run from NFS mounted filesystems

13. Setting RW on mount'd NFS filesystem