problems with ping/traceroute and more

Post by cmei.. » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

We're running linux with the 2.0.38 kernel, using a D-Link NE2000
compatible ISA network card.  We're connected to a Cisco 2500 series
router on a frame relay connection.  We're not running a firewall.

We can't ping or traceroute anywhere, not even the localhost.  It's like
all icmp traffic is being blocked.  Everything other than icmp
connections
to the internet and the localhost such as telnet, mail, etc, work just
fine.  I've tried upgrading the kernel and that didn't fix it.  We've
also
tried changing out the network card, and that didn't help either.  I
also
haven't been able to get tcpdump to work, so I'm not sure how to
diagnose
it from here.  We tried bringing the system down to single user mode
with
nothing but networking started, to see if perhaps something else was
interfering with it but no luck there either.

This just started happening one day a while back for no apparent reason.
No changes had been made to the system that we're aware of when it
started.

Please e-mail me any suggestions you might have.
Thanks so much,

Claus

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

problems with ping/traceroute and more

Post by Grega Brem » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 07 Nov 1999 09:27:57 GMT,

had somehow managed to commit the following:

Quote:>We're running linux with the 2.0.38 kernel, using a D-Link NE2000
>compatible ISA network card.  We're connected to a Cisco 2500 series
>router on a frame relay connection.  We're not running a firewall.

<snip>

Please, do crosspost the next time you have something to ask on
several newsgroups, rather than posting a separate message to each
and every one of those.

It's kind of annoying when one has to deal with the same message for
five times in five different newsgroups.

Thanks.

--
--------------------------------------
        Grega Bremec                  http://zap.to/gbsoftware

problems with ping/traceroute and more

Post by <cmarn.. » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Try "ifconfig -a" to look at your NIC interfaces and see if they're up.  I
"believe" you should be able to contact local host since it is the loopback
interface but could be wrong.  You alson may have lost the route to your
default gateway so "man route."

Chris Arnold

>We're running linux with the 2.0.38 kernel, using a D-Link NE2000
>compatible ISA network card.  We're connected to a Cisco 2500 series
>router on a frame relay connection.  We're not running a firewall.

>We can't ping or traceroute anywhere, not even the localhost.  It's like
>all icmp traffic is being blocked.  Everything other than icmp
>connections
>to the internet and the localhost such as telnet, mail, etc, work just
>fine.  I've tried upgrading the kernel and that didn't fix it.  We've
>also
>tried changing out the network card, and that didn't help either.  I
>also
>haven't been able to get tcpdump to work, so I'm not sure how to
>diagnose
>it from here.  We tried bringing the system down to single user mode
>with
>nothing but networking started, to see if perhaps something else was
>interfering with it but no luck there either.

>This just started happening one day a while back for no apparent reason.
>No changes had been made to the system that we're aware of when it
>started.

>Please e-mail me any suggestions you might have.
>Thanks so much,

>Claus

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

1. need help ping/traceroute problems and more...

[...]

2. apps for 700 series HP

3. ping/traceroute problems

4. Skunkware 5 C on Hold?

5. Weird - Ping, traceroute problems - but telnet, http, ftp ok - ??

6. can't start apache

7. need help ping/traceroute problems

8. Q> Netscape 4.72 on FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE????

9. Solaris 2.4 ping & traceroute problem

10. iptables ping and traceroute issues...

11. ping / traceroute not working

12. NATD/IPFW and ping/traceroute swallowing.

13. traceroute vs ping