tar with more than one tape

Post by Nicholas Buckle » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

What's your neat solution for spanning more than one 5Gb tape when backing
up large volumes of data?

You should assume that there is a single tape drive and a patient
operator!!!

Any solutions, whole or part would be welcome.

Regards,
Nicholas Buckley
AIX Administrator,
NCM,
Cardiff,
Wales,
United Kingdom

(Please note: all newsgroup offerings are made in a personal
capacity and in no way are the responsibility of my employer)

tar with more than one tape

Post by Timothy J. L » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

|What's your neat solution for spanning more than one 5Gb tape when backing
|up large volumes of data?

GNU tar --multi-volume ?  Maybe star has such an option also.

tar with more than one tape

Post by Steve W. Jacks » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

:> |What's your neat solution for spanning more than one 5Gb tape when backing
:> |up large volumes of data?
:>
:> GNU tar --multi-volume ?  Maybe star has such an option also.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the standard
tar provided with AIX will automatically prompt for another tape when the
first is filled.  It will also untar from tape in the same manner -- or at
least it used to, back when all I had were 150MB cartridges.

= Steve =

--
Steve W. Jackson,  Montgomery, Alabama
http://www.mindspring.com/~sjacksn/stevehome.html

tar with more than one tape

Post by Nicholas Buckle » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Steve,

You may well be right, but you wants to stand around waiting for 5Gb to pour
down the SCSI :-)

Nick.

>:> |What's your neat solution for spanning more than one 5Gb tape when
backing
>:> |up large volumes of data?
>:>
>:> GNU tar --multi-volume ?  Maybe star has such an option also.

>Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the standard
>tar provided with AIX will automatically prompt for another tape when the
>first is filled.  It will also untar from tape in the same manner -- or at
>least it used to, back when all I had were 150MB cartridges.

>= Steve =

>--
>Steve W. Jackson,  Montgomery, Alabama
>http://www.mindspring.com/~sjacksn/stevehome.html

tar with more than one tape

Post by Neil Lun » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

GNU tar!!! This is all well, but anyone who really have "5Gb to to pour down
the SCSI" should seriously look at forking out for an autoloader.

Neil

Post by John R. Campbe » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>GNU tar!!! This is all well, but anyone who really have "5Gb to to pour down
>the SCSI" should seriously look at forking out for an autoloader.

        Well, at least a 7331 has 7GB drives available!

        Of course, if you're *that* hard up, scrounge up the
        funds for a DLT...

>>You may well be right, but you wants to stand around waiting for 5Gb to
>pour
>>down the SCSI :-)

        Which is why an AutoLoader is such a gem-  you really
        don't want to deal with "Operator Intervention".

        Of course, if you've got another system (like a mainframe?)
        available w/ enough bandwidth, you could always try ADSM...

--

  "As a SysAdmin, yes, I CAN read your e-mail, but I DON'T get that bored!"-me
   Disclaimer:  I'm just a consultant at the bottom of the food chain, so,

tar with more than one tape

Post by Garry Garre » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>What's your neat solution for spanning more than one 5Gb tape when backing
>up large volumes of data?

>You should assume that there is a single tape drive and a patient
>operator!!!

>Any solutions, whole or part would be welcome.

use "backup" instead of tar?  Backup is derived from the BSD dump
command.  If you are worried about cross platforms, I've been
able to use Solaris's (2.3) "ufsrestore" to read a tape made with
"backup" on AIX (4.1.5)  (AIX's backup and restore and Solaris's
ufsdump and ufsrestore are all ancestors of BSD's dump and restore).

backup has built into it the ability to use muliple volumes.  You
can also (if you want) setup a scheme of incremental backups, which
means that you may only need to feed it when you do a full backup.

Some have suggested GNUtar too.  Whatever works for you.

Garry J. Garrett
CSG Systems, Inc.      ._o    see my homepage for a "mailto:" tag
2525 North 117th Ave.    |>   to send me e-mail...
Mailstop 2-A             4
Omaha, NE 68164-3679

CSG Systems - http://www.csgsys.com/
My Homepage - http://monarch.papillion.ne.us/~ggarrett

I do not speak in any capacity on behalf of CSG Systems.
I get into enough trouble speaking for myself.

1. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

I friend of mine managed to use the tar cf comamnd when he wanted to
do a tar xf. He stopped it when he realized what he had done
but obviously tar now doesn't believe the file is there.
Is there anyway to extract, at least partially, the contents of
the tape? Perhaps with dd?

Thanks,

Craig Barnes

2. awe64 + debian = :-(

3. Multi tapes with tar/Tar tape length

4. Windoze Emulator for Linux????

5. Q: tar one file in two tapes?

6. Translate a Function from ksh to csh

7. Multiple tars on one tape problem

8. slow remote ufsdump over ISDN

9. How to tar multiple files to one tape

10. multiple tar archives on one tape

11. How does one compres files in this .tar.gz .Z and .tar.Z

12. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

13. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar & mt ???