suggestions please.

Post by Kenn » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

hi,
we have two lans connecting via two routers. one lan has a linux 6.2 server
with
win98 clients connecting to it. the other lan has only win98 clients.
all clients telnet to the server. the router configuration has been setup
and installed properly. we can ping to both the local and remote routers
which rules out improper router configuration. we cannot however ping the
linux box.
we thought that the gateway was not setup in the linux box, but it was.

this seems to be an improper setup of the linux box itself.
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
kenny.

suggestions please.

Post by Drew Simoni » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> hi,
> we have two lans connecting via two routers. one lan has a linux 6.2 server
> with
> win98 clients connecting to it. the other lan has only win98 clients.
> all clients telnet to the server. the router configuration has been setup
> and installed properly. we can ping to both the local and remote routers
> which rules out improper router configuration. we cannot however ping the
> linux box.
> we thought that the gateway was not setup in the linux box, but it was.

> this seems to be an improper setup of the linux box itself.
> any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Where does a traceroute fail?  Have you tried pinging the Linux
server from the routers directly?

suggestions please.

Post by Marc Webe » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello Kenny,

> all clients telnet to the server. the router configuration has been setup
> and installed properly. we can ping to both the local and remote routers
> which rules out improper router configuration. we cannot however ping the
> linux box.

Did I get this right: you can telnet to the linux but you
can't ping it? Just an idea: if you have ipchains installed,
maybe it's configured to deny certain/some/all ICMP-packets.
It's somehow unlikely, I know, but it costs you just one
'ipchains -h icmp' to check...

Marc

-- "Error: Keybord not attached. Press F1 to resume."

suggestions please.

Post by kanni » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Is the linux-box able to ping itself or the gateway?

> hi,
> we have two lans connecting via two routers. one lan has a linux 6.2
server
> with
> win98 clients connecting to it. the other lan has only win98 clients.
> all clients telnet to the server. the router configuration has been setup
> and installed properly. we can ping to both the local and remote routers
> which rules out improper router configuration. we cannot however ping the
> linux box.
> we thought that the gateway was not setup in the linux box, but it was.

> this seems to be an improper setup of the linux box itself.
> any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

> thank you,
> kenny.

suggestions please.

Post by Kenn » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

thanks guys for replying. but the solution was really stupid.
we had bad cables.

>hi,
>we have two lans connecting via two routers. one lan has a linux 6.2 server
>with
>win98 clients connecting to it. the other lan has only win98 clients.
>all clients telnet to the server. the router configuration has been setup
>and installed properly. we can ping to both the local and remote routers
>which rules out improper router configuration. we cannot however ping the
>linux box.
>we thought that the gateway was not setup in the linux box, but it was.

>this seems to be an improper setup of the linux box itself.
>any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

>thank you,
>kenny.

1. Possible Netowrk Setup -- Suggestions Please

I am not new to the networking world or Linux, but I am looking for a little
input in this instance.  What I'm essentially trying to do is get a
locked-down network that is very secure and uses all services through a
central gateway, services such as DNS, Apache, NIS, NFS, Samba, NAT, and IP
Filtering.  Now my first question is:  is this set-up feasible from a
security perspective and/or feasiblity in setup on a gateway machine?

DNS - Allow all internal machines to use this server as a name server and an
outside name (ie. query the internal server to resolve names on the
internet) caching server.
Apache - Allow only internal machines to access this service.
NIS - Allow only internal machines to access this service.
NFS - only internal machines.
Samba - only internal machines.
NAT - "Masquerade" internal machines on the internet.
IP Filtering - Firewalling rules which drop any requests to the gateway
except for the above services to the internal net.

Now I've heard arguments about putting this particular mixture of services
on one machine, especially a gateway/firewall.  Can someone substantiate
this advice?

I will also be doing some port forwarding in the near future to distribute
some services offered by this one machine.

So can anyone share their thoughts on such a setup ... positive and/or
negative?

Thank you,
Dan Serban

2. ssa disk in rootvg

3. book suggestion please

4. Token Ring Driver For Linux

5. Suggestions please - Office for Linux

6. amiwin windows manager configuration

7. RHCE Exam Books - Suggestions Please

8. Spar Linux Boot Problems

9. Mouse not recognized - Suggestions please

10. Mouse and Keyboard problem in X: Suggestions Please

11. Suggestions Please

12. System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

13. Newbie: suggestions please