Problems taring up files larger than 2GB on Solaris 8

Problems taring up files larger than 2GB on Solaris 8

Post by Chris Thom » Fri, 30 May 2003 18:54:52

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help?

We are running vertias volume manager 3.5 on a solaris 8 sun V880 box.

I am trying to tar up large amounts of data under volume manager
partitions (not veritas file system).  When the tar (this is using GNU
tar) gets to about 2 GB it bombs out with the following error:

/usr/local/bin/tar: Cannot write to
/data/archive/28_05_03/ver_data_images.tar:
File too large
/usr/local/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Similar errors are produced with just the normal solaris tar.

I have heard people talk "Is your file system flagged largefile", how
do you check this and how do you change it if, it isn't set for large
files.

thanks

Chris

Post by David Magd » Sat, 31 May 2003 00:07:07

> Hi,

> I wonder if anyone can help?

> We are running vertias volume manager 3.5 on a solaris 8 sun V880 box.

> I am trying to tar up large amounts of data under volume manager
> partitions (not veritas file system).  When the tar (this is using GNU
> tar) gets to about 2 GB it bombs out with the following error:

[...]

Which version of GNU tar? If I remember correctly, I solved this
problem once by getting and recompiling a more recent version of GNU
tar.

The old version that I tried at first was compiled against either
Solaris 2.5.1 or 2.6.

(It was a while since I did it, so I may be misremembering).

Is there any reason why you are not using the Solaris tar?

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/

Post by Allen Garvi » Sat, 31 May 2003 01:16:08

    Hi,

    I wonder if anyone can help?

    We are running vertias volume manager 3.5 on a solaris 8 sun V880 box.

    I am trying to tar up large amounts of data under volume
    manager partitions (not veritas file system).  When the tar
    (this is using GNU tar) gets to about 2 GB it bombs out with
    the following error:

    /usr/local/bin/tar: Cannot write to
    /data/archive/28_05_03/ver_data_images.tar:
    File too large
    /usr/local/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

    Similar errors are produced with just the normal solaris tar.

    I have heard people talk "Is your file system flagged largefile",
    how do you check this and how do you change it if, it isn't
    set for large files.

mount -o remount,largefiles /mountpoint

Though I thought largefiles was enabled by default on Solaris 8
for ufs filesystems (you say you're not using vxfs, so I assume
it is ufs?).  Add 'largefiles' to the last column for the filesystem
in /etc/vfstab.  Use the same procedure if you happen to be using
vxfs.  You can check to see if a filesystem is mounted largefile by
typing mount.  For instance:

/ on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 read/write/setuid/intr/largefiles/onerror=panic/dev=800000 on Thu May 29 11:15:26 2003

According to the largefile man page (man largefile), tar on
Solaris 8 is largefiles-aware.  GNU tar may or may not be.

Allen Garvin

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 05:52:04

> Hi,

> I wonder if anyone can help?

> We are running vertias volume manager 3.5 on a solaris 8 sun V880 box.

> I am trying to tar up large amounts of data under volume manager
> partitions (not veritas file system).  When the tar (this is using GNU
> tar) gets to about 2 GB it bombs out with the following error:

> /usr/local/bin/tar: Cannot write to
> /data/archive/28_05_03/ver_data_images.tar:
> File too large
> /usr/local/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

> Similar errors are produced with just the normal solaris tar.

> I have heard people talk "Is your file system flagged largefile", how
> do you check this and how do you change it if, it isn't set for large
> files.

        You are running into a well known problem with SOLARIS.  While SUN
continues to hype it as a 64-bit OE, the reality of the situation is
that SOLARIS is only a 32-bit OE.  It has kludges to mimic limited
64-bit behavior but it is by no means a real 64-bit OE.  As someone
pointed out, you can do a 'remount' of the file system with the silly
"largefiles" option to activate the kludge.

Quote:> thanks

        No problem.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***************************   Q: How many frenchmen does it take
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      to defend Paris?

1. help! taring files larger than 2GB!

what is the command line for using tar to spliting tar file as 1gb each.

I know multiple volume (-M) to be used, but didn't get that working.

I tried tar -L 100000 -Mcf test.tar /usr

but it is prompt me to continue and if i type 'y' then it continue but make
no files. except the first one. what I am doing wrong here?

/nightman

2. samba with 2 network adapters

3. Writing files larger than 2GB from AIX to Solaris

4. Thanks: root

5. Is there a version of gzip that handles files larger than 2GB?

6. Sound fix is here

7. Files larger than 2Gb

8. question on quota(s)

9. Files larger than 2GB (Was Re: ftell/fseek vs. fsetpos/fgetpos)

10. large files (larger than 2GB)?

11. Creation of solaris package larger than 2GB fails

12. file larger than 2GB

13. Problem with apache 1.3.1 and cache larger then 2GB