disk to disk copy for Unix System V

Post by Dave Ratclif » Sat, 21 Dec 1991 07:03:26

> There's been discussions on disk copying for BSD based Unix.
> Has anyone performed disk to disk copy for Unix System V based
> Unix on an IBM-PC AT system?
> I noticed that the dump-restore commands doesn't exist for
> System V.

I use dd to copy floppies to the HD then back out to a new floppy:

dd if=/dev/dsk/f0q15dt of=[filename]

to go from floppy to HD,then

dd if=[filename] of=/dev/dsk/f0q15dt

to go back to another floppy. All this with one floppy drive. Check man
page for usage of dd command, your mileage may vary re: floppy device
name.

I'm sure there are other ways to do the same task but this works for me.

--
                                             Happy Holidays from
 Dave Ratcliffe                      The Data Factory BBS  Harrisburg  Pa.

Post by Peter da Sil » Sat, 21 Dec 1991 05:25:47

> Has anyone performed disk to disk copy for Unix System V based
> Unix on an IBM-PC AT system?

Yes. You still have to build the partitions table for the new drive because
the fershluginner defect list and spares are at the beginning and vary in size.
But you can just dd the partitions over if you make the sizes match (I usually
adjust the size of the /tmp file system so the rest of the partitions are a
standard size).
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- Ferranti International Controls Corporation

1. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

Simple.

1) create a lilo boot disk with lilo, and the kernel on it (email me if you
   need to know how to do this too)

2) install the new drive in the system, create a filesystem on it, and
   mount it on, say, /mnt

3) copy the filesystem over, making sure to preserve permissions, and
   exclude /mnt and /proc.  Some ways to do this are

cp -a -x / /mnt
        note that the -x means only stay on one filesystem, so if you
        normally have more than one filesystem mounted, you'll need to copy
        those over, too.

( cd / ; tar --atime-preserve -l -p --same-owmer -v -cf - / ) | ( cd /mnt ;
tar --atime-preserve -p --same-owner -xf - )
        but all as one line...

4) after veryfying everything looks good, you can remove the old system,
   reboot off of the boot disk, and re-install lilo on the new disk.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

2. NAMED strange with Masq

3. Tape/Disk copying routine for unknown blocksizes on Unix systems?

4. I don't understand the licensing stuff.

5. Linux Disk to Disk copy???

6. script that recursively checks for directories

7. Using dd to copy disk partition corrupts complete target disk

8. fwd- AMD K7: 700MHz an easy overclock

9. how to copy boot disk to hard disk

10. Copying disk to disk

11. COpy disk to disk

12. copy boot disc to a replacement boot disc -

13. How to Copy Disk-to-Disk?