/etc/init.d/acct vs /etc/init.d/perf

Post by Steve in Ph » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 01:54:20

I have been using /etc/init.d/acct to start accounting on my Solaris
servers.
What is the purpose of /etc/init.d/perf ?  The comment in /etc/init.d/perf
says:
# Uncomment the following lines to enable system activity data gathering.
# You will also need to uncomment the sa entries in the system crontab

...but /etc/init.d/acct already starts it, and I already edited the sys
crontab.
So what's the difference?  Just another way to start accounting?
Since I'm already collecting sar data, my real question is  Am I missing
something by not using /etc/init.d/perf ?

-Steve in Phx.