mailx getting wrong User in 'from'

Post by Mark C. DiVecchio (K3F » Sun, 10 Oct 1993 07:51:30

We are running ESIX 4.0.4.

Some users are reporting a problem, which I have seen, where the
 From: address on mail they send has ANOTHER user in it.  So when 'dave'
sends a message, it is received as if 'john' sent it.

Happens when the user is either rlogin'ed in or telnet'ed in from
another machine.

Called ESIX tech support with no help.  whoami returns correct info.
finger is correct.

elm exhibits the same problem.
Any ideas?
--
Mark DiVecchio, Silogic Systems, 619-549-9841                       K3FWT
-----   9888 Carroll Center Road, Suite 212, San Diego, CA 92126    -----

mailx getting wrong User in 'from'

Post by Christoph Badu » Sun, 10 Oct 1993 20:48:06

Quote:>We are running ESIX 4.0.4.
>Some users are reporting a problem, which I have seen, where the
> From: address on mail they send has ANOTHER user in it.  So when 'dave'
>sends a message, it is received as if 'john' sent it.
>Happens when the user is either rlogin'ed in or telnet'ed in from
>another machine.

Telnetd and rlogind don't handle the update of the utmp/utmpx file
right when they exit.  It's a wellknown bug in SVR4.

Tell ESIX to clear the ut_line field in endut() in both programs and
send you the fixed binaries.  That fix seemed to do the trick for
Generics SVR4.

--

Personally, I don't care whether someone is cool enough to quote Doug
Gwyn--I only care whether Doug Gwyn is cool enough to quote. -- Larry Wall

1. Wanted: Sources for 'mailx', and multi user chat

I'm looking for two pieces of source code.  Pointers to FTP archive sites,
mail archive sites (preferrable), or people that have the code (Email
addresses) would be helpful.

(a) A System V "mailx" or Berkeley "mail" lookalike program.  Basically,
    anything better than System V's supplied "mail" command.  ELM doesn't
    work right on this system, and mush (Mail User's Shell) failed to com-
    pile. (Though later versions of these two packages may have fixed these
    problems; I have yet to see.)

(b) A multi-user "chat" program.  Basically, something that uses fifos or
    message queues or something, to allow several people to chat with each
    other at the same time. (Not just two people, like "talk" does.  But
    something similar)

Please mail all replies to the addresses supplied below.  If anyone else
is interested in this source, I will be glad to mail them a summary, and/or
the code itself (if I recieve it).
--
+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+

:                                            : COMPUSERVE: 72540,3071         :
: UUCP: uunet!nixbbs!dburr, nixbbs!dburr     : AMERICA ONLINE: DonaldBurr     :
+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
:               Don't like my postings?  Call 1-800-dev-null.                 :

2. openbsd 2.9 with adsl router?

3. From in 'mail' and 'mailx'

4. Korn Shell or Perl?

6. HFS and SysV fs questions.

7. What's wrong with 'file protocol' or 'http://localhost protocol'?

8. VM problems still in 2.4.17?

9. 'df' and 'du' show wrong sizes

10. Help with 'user', 'w', 'who' commands

11. External 'time_t' variable 'altzone' seems to be wrong !

12. Getting User Input in BASH Script without using 'Read'.

13. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?