How to 'release' a socket?

Post by S S Wa » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

I occasionally come into a case that a process cannot be kill even by -9.
I know that the process is listening on a port and when I 'netstat -a', I
found
that there are some connections with CLOSE_WAITING status.

Is it the cause that I can't kill the process? How can I kill these
connections
so that I can kill the process? (Reboot is not an option here, sorry!)

How to 'release' a socket?

Post by Jim Denni » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

: I occasionally come into a case that a process cannot be kill even by -9.
: I know that the process is listening on a port and when I 'netstat -a', I
: found that there are some connections with CLOSE_WAITING status.

: Is it the cause that I can't kill the process? How can I kill these
: connections so that I can kill the process? (Reboot is not an option
: here, sorry!)

        It may be that these processes are zombies.  In that
        case the only way to remove them from the process table
        is to kill their parents.

        I've posted messages on this numerous times before but
        the short form is that a zombie is an entry in the
        process table that exists so that the parent process
        can wait() on an exit/return value from it.

        These processes that are in "FIN_WAIT_CLOSE" state probably
        children of other processes that are similar wedged.

        I've also heard of cases of "unkillable" processes that
        were wedged in various forms of block I/O on devices or
        files (NFS -- "hard mounted"?) that are unavailable.
        That may be dependent on your version and form of Unix.

--
Jim Dennis,
Starshine Technical Services            http://www.starshine.org

How to 'release' a socket?

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

>: I occasionally come into a case that a process cannot be kill even by -9.
>: I know that the process is listening on a port and when I 'netstat -a', I
>: found that there are some connections with CLOSE_WAITING status.

>: Is it the cause that I can't kill the process? How can I kill these
>: connections so that I can kill the process? (Reboot is not an option
>: here, sorry!)

>    It may be that these processes are zombies.  In that
>    case the only way to remove them from the process table
>    is to kill their parents.

At times you can re-parent them ...
truss  -p <PID of the zombie>
... or ...
strace -p <PID of the zombie>
... does not work all the times, but might be worth a try.

Bye, Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl     \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +49 911-4501186    \                  /

How to 'release' a socket?

Post by Sadi Melbouc » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

I did have this problem a while ago. It means that one of the ends
of the socket still open.
If you kill that processes it should be OK.

Cheers

> >: I occasionally come into a case that a process cannot be kill even by -9.
> >: I know that the process is listening on a port and when I 'netstat -a', I
> >: found that there are some connections with CLOSE_WAITING status.

> >: Is it the cause that I can't kill the process? How can I kill these
> >: connections so that I can kill the process? (Reboot is not an option
> >: here, sorry!)

> >       It may be that these processes are zombies.  In that
> >       case the only way to remove them from the process table
> >       is to kill their parents.

> At times you can re-parent them ...
> truss  -p <PID of the zombie>
> ... or ...
> strace -p <PID of the zombie>
> ... does not work all the times, but might be worth a try.

> Bye, Juergen

> --
> \ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl     \       no flames      /

>   \ Phone Private : +49 911-4501186    \                  /

1. How to 'release' a socket?

I occasionally come into a case that a process cannot be killed even by -9.
I know that the process is listening on a port and when I 'netstat -a', I
found that there are some connections with CLOSE_WAITING status.

Is it the cause that I can't kill the process? How can I kill these
connections so that I can kill the process? (Reboot is not an option
here, sorry!)

2. IPtables and MSN chat

3. DHCP ``release'' and ``renew''

4. Netscape crashes on RH6.0 with javascript

5. WOLK v3.5 FINAL, Codemane 'Fin' alias 'Birthday Release'

6. Security and XNTPD

7. Multiple 'connect' on ONE 'socket'?

8. gcc and libc documentation ?

9. Failed to connect to term socket '/home2/irvine/.term/socket'

10. PADS: "Upgrading to Debian's unstable'' release"

11. 'Can't CD to 3.2-RELEASE'

12. Socket, socket, who's got the socket?

13. Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'