Remote Shell Problems

Post by Tom Hoffma » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 09:56:43

I have 3 systems, with HPUX, AIX, and SunOS installed. There is an
/.rhosts file on each system which contains the hostnames of the other
two systems. The following table shows the results of attempting to
execute a remote command on one box from another box as root:

From\To     Command     AIX           HP            SUN
AIX         rsh        N/A           Login          OK
4.3.3                                Incorrect
HP          remsh      Permission    N/A            OK
10.20                  is denied
SUN-OS      rsh        Permission    Login          N/A
5.6                    is denied     Incorrect

As the table shows, I can execute a remote command on the Sun box from
either the IBM or HP. However, I can not execute a remote command on
the IBM box from either the HP or Sun, nor can I execute a command on
the HP box from the IBM or Sun. The response from the IBM box is
consistent when attempting a remote command from the HP or Sun, as is
the response from the HP whem attempting a remote command from the IBM
or Sun, but neither is successfull.

The results are the same for a normal user trying to execute a remote
command with the appropriate $HOME/.rhosts file of course. Does anyone
have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Remote Shell Problems

Post by Timothy J. L » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 10:01:07

>The results are the same for a normal user trying to execute a remote
>command with the appropriate $HOME/.rhosts file of course. Does anyone
>have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Could be name resolution.  After logging in remotely, what does each
computer think you are coming from (last or finger may say)?

Timothy J. Lee

Remote Shell Problems

Post by Carlos Plarr » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 01:10:07

Did you try ssh? Its a more secure and powerful tool than the "r"
commands.

> >The results are the same for a normal user trying to execute a remote
> >command with the appropriate $HOME/.rhosts file of course. Does
anyone
> >have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

> Could be name resolution.  After logging in remotely, what does each
> computer think you are coming from (last or finger may say)?

> --

Quote:> Timothy J. Lee

--
Carlos Plarre
Brainbench MVP for UNIX Admin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. remote shell problem

I am attempting to run a long program using remote shells. The desired
method is to start the program using a remote shell and let it run
in the background. So here's the problem:

I run the following command:

        rsh <hostname> "sh -c /home/grahamk/long_program  1>&- 2>&- & "

        When <hostname> is an HP or a Solaris machine it works fine. That is,
the program is run in the background on the remote machine and the rsh
process returns without waiting for the process to quit (stdin and stderr
closed).

        However, if i run the identical command when <hostname> is a SunOs
4.1.x machine the rsh command hangs and waits for the process to terminate.

        I need the rsh to return without waiting.

        So, if anyone has any idea why this hangs, or has an alternate rsh
syntax for 4.1.x machines i would *love* to hear about it!!!

        Thanks,
                Graham

Lockheed Martin        303-201-1593(pager)           303-971-3101 (best chance)

2. How do I change / create a banner when printing to Jetdirect from solaris

3. Remote shell problem

4. PS/2 Mouse

5. remote shell problem

6. netscape and dropdown boxes

7. remote shell problem.

8. rbash not working Mandrake 9.1

9. exit status from remote shell to local shell

10. Korn shell help with remote shell needed!

11. Using rsh (remote shell command) with $SHELL=ksh.

12. Make remote-shell csh act as login-shell

13. problems with remote printing under AIX 3.2 (and other remote access problems)