Legato NetWorker - Soft Errors on 8mm 3M Data tapes (replace tape!)

Legato NetWorker - Soft Errors on 8mm 3M Data tapes (replace tape!)

Post by Mains Roads W. » Thu, 23 Jun 1994 18:21:38

Hello.

If you use Legato NetWorker to do your network backups to 8mm tapes, I would
be very interested to know your experiences.

We are running NetWorker version 4.0.1 on a Sun SPARC 2 with Solaris 2.3.
We have a Sun 8mm 5 GB Exabyte tape drive attached.

We were using Scotch brand P5-90 8mm video grade cartridges for our backups,
and NetWorker was frequently giving error messages such as follows.

         Soft error rate (16%) during writing was too high
         Please, replace tape cartridge

Sometimes the Soft error rate went as high as 32%.

After a couple of tapes failed, we decided to replace them all with 3M
certified D8-112 8mm digital data storage tapes.

Unfortunately NetWorker is still giving Soft errors on the 3M data tapes !
These Soft errors usually vary between 6% and 7%.  Last night, the error
message appeared seven* (17) times !!

Note that I put an Exabyte 8mm  cleaning tape through the drive
immediately before the backups started.

Below are some questions that I would like answered.  If you know the answer
to any of them (or even if you don't, but are getting the same "Soft error -
Please replace tape cartridge" messages) I would appreciate it if you could
drop me a line.

Thankyou.

Question 1:
Could you please advise why NetWorker keeps on producing these soft errors,
and continues to advise us to replace our *brand new* data certified 8mm
cartridges.  Do you think the Exabyte drive needs servicing?  (Note that
we have had no problems with the drive).

Answer 1:

Question 2:
Are the 3M digital data 8mm cartridges suitable to work with NetWorker?
Should we be using a different brand of 8mm cartridge, and if so, which brand?

Answer 2:

Question 3:
Is the Soft error message a bug from Legato NetWorker?  Is this message still
given under NetWorker version 4.0.2 ?

Answer 3:

Question 4:
And the big question...  Can we expect NetWorker to mark one of our brand new
3M D8 data tapes as full before it really is full, and hence cause our nightly
backups to fail?

Answer 4:

James Patton
Unix Systems Administrator
Main Roads Western Australia

*
* We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not
* in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not
* destroyed.  We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so
* that the life of Jesus may be revealed in our body...
* It is written: "I believed; therefore I have spoken."  With that same
* spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak, ...
*    (2 Corinthians 4:8 - 10; 13)
*

Legato NetWorker - Soft Errors on 8mm 3M Data tapes (replace tape!)

Post by Pete Barb » Thu, 23 Jun 1994 22:32:56

The soft error is from the Solaris i.e. the kernel rather than
networker.  I would suggest using different tape and/or different
makes.  When I have had the problem it has been down to a dirty
drive (one clean fixes it) or a dud tape.  Maybe you have a dud
bunch of tapes (1 shipment) ?

Note;  I do not run networker but have got soft errors from
other tape related activities

Pete

:
[...]

: *
: * We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not
: * in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not
: * destroyed.  We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so
: * that the life of Jesus may be revealed in our body...
: * It is written: "I believed; therefore I have spoken."  With that same
: * spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak, ...
: *    (2 Corinthians 4:8 - 10; 13)
: *

Tel: +44 (0)483 740770  Fax   : +44 (0)483 771998

Post by jo.. » Fri, 24 Jun 1994 00:57:34

> Hello.
> If you use Legato NetWorker to do your network backups to 8mm tapes, I would
> be very interested to know your experiences.
> We are running NetWorker version 4.0.1 on a Sun SPARC 2 with Solaris 2.3.
> We have a Sun 8mm 5 GB Exabyte tape drive attached.
> We were using Scotch brand P5-90 8mm video grade cartridges for our backups,
> and NetWorker was frequently giving error messages such as follows.

>          Soft error rate (16%) during writing was too high
>          Please, replace tape cartridge
> Sometimes the Soft error rate went as high as 32%.
> After a couple of tapes failed, we decided to replace them all with 3M
> certified D8-112 8mm digital data storage tapes.
> Unfortunately NetWorker is still giving Soft errors on the 3M data tapes !
> These Soft errors usually vary between 6% and 7%.  Last night, the error
> message appeared seven* (17) times !!
> Note that I put an Exabyte 8mm  cleaning tape through the drive
> immediately before the backups started.
> Below are some questions that I would like answered.  If you know the answer
> to any of them (or even if you don't, but are getting the same "Soft error -
> Please replace tape cartridge" messages) I would appreciate it if you could
> drop me a line.
> Thankyou.

> Question 1:
> Could you please advise why NetWorker keeps on producing these soft errors,
> and continues to advise us to replace our *brand new* data certified 8mm
> cartridges.  Do you think the Exabyte drive needs servicing?  (Note that
> we have had no problems with the drive).

> Answer 1: Networker is not producing the errors directly.  These errors

            are coming from the Kernel and being processed/passed on by
            Networker.  They indicate that the driver has had problems
            writting the tape.  I have found that this is usually caused
            by a dirty drive, or perhaps a bad tape.

Quote:

> Question 2:
> Are the 3M digital data 8mm cartridges suitable to work with NetWorker?
> Should we be using a different brand of 8mm cartridge, and if so, which brand?
> Answer 2: This is really a religous qustion.  I prefer the Sony tapes,

            I'm sure that other have other preferences.
Quote:

> Question 3:
> Is the Soft error message a bug from Legato NetWorker?  Is this message still
> given under NetWorker version 4.0.2 ?

> Answer 3: I don't know, but I doubt it.  Like I said above, this message

            is probably coming from the Kernel not from Networker.

Quote:

> Question 4:
> And the big question...  Can we expect NetWorker to mark one of our brand new
> 3M D8 data tapes as full before it really is full, and hence cause our nightly
> backups to fail?
> Answer 4: If there are enough errors and hence skipped blocks, you could

            easily end up in a situation where you get a lot less on a tape
            than you would expect.  If cleaning the heads and switching tapes
            doesn't clear things up, I'd look at getting the drive serviced.

--joerg

* Information Services Dept.|Ma Bell : (818)564-7423                      *
* Kaiser Permanente         |FAX     : (818)564-7502                      *
* 393 East Walnut Street    |QUOTE   : A horse can be made to drink, but  *
* Pasadena, Ca. 91188       |          a pencil must always be lead.      *

1. Re. copy 8mm tape to 8mm tape

.

try '# tcopy /dev/rmt<source#> /dev/rmt<target#>'

-frank-

| E-Mail: FRANVM3(KRAEMERF)                 - IBM VNET  "Yes, I'm one  |
| ======  IBMMAIL(DEIBM27S)                 - IBM-Mail   of those      |
|         DE.IBMX400.IBMMAIL.KRAEMER.KRAEME - X.400      stupid IBM    |

| Voice : +49-(0)611/776-364                                           |
| Mail  : Abraham-Lincoln Street 26, 6200 Wiesbaden, Germany           |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. How to display Cyrillic text

3. Stupid Questions: Sun 8mm dump tape =>AIX 8mm dump tape

4. Apache 1.3.9 crashes linux box (kernel problem)

5. How can I get the IBM RS6000's 8mm tape to read other 8mm tapes ?

6. one CPU is faster than two

7. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

8. Server Hardware for OS 5.0.4 reccomendations needed

9. Solstice Backup/Legato Networker problem : need label stored on tape, not jukebox

10. Legato Networker, SONY SDX-500C AIT-2 Tapes, RedHat 7.0

11. reading/scanner Legato Networker tapes while booted from CD

12. Legato Networker, Linux & IMB tape libraries.

13. Reading Legato Networker Tapes