Adding users problem

Post by Pats » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:13:30

I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
getting the message

"The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
Please try again later."

No one else is logged in and I don't know how to unlock the files.

Can anyone help please?

Patsy

Adding users problem

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:11:01

> I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
> getting the message

> "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
> Please try again later."

> No one else is logged in and I don't know how to unlock the files.

> Can anyone help please?

> Patsy

        Perhaps you should mention which UNIX system you're using.

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Adding users problem

Post by E » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:38:45

> I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
> getting the message

> "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
> Please try again later."

> No one else is logged in and I don't know how to unlock the files.

> Can anyone help please?

> Patsy

Patsy

Which flavour of unix ?

Adding users problem

Post by Trevor Osatch » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:47:56

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:06:23 -0700, "Michael Vilain

>> I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
>> getting the message

>> "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
>> Please try again later."

>> No one else is logged in and I don't know how to unlock the files.

>> Can anyone help please?

>What OS?  TRU64 used to lock the passwd file sometimes.

>Use the fuser command (man fuser) and find out who's locked the passwd
>and or shadow file.  Try adding again.

There may also be an /etc/.AM_is_running file lying around.  Delete it
and try again.

__
Trev

Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man.
          - J. Robert Oppenheimer, speaking of Albert Einstein

Adding users problem

Post by p.. » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:55:16

> I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
> getting the message
> "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
> Please try again later."
> No one else is logged in and I don't know how to unlock the files.
> Can anyone help please?

Without giving us a hint of what kind of UN*X it's it's difficult to guess.

Quote:> Patsy

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

Adding users problem

Post by Md Irf » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 04:08:31

Check out the /etc/passwd file for permissions.
It would be fine if you clearly had mentioned the issue.
Regards
Irfan

Adding users problem

Post by Pats » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 04:25:05

I'm using OSF1.

> > I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
> > getting the message

> > "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
> > Please try again later."

> > No one else is logged in and I don't know how to unlock the files.

> > Can anyone help please?

> > Patsy

> Patsy

> Which flavour of unix ?

Adding users problem

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:40:49

> I'm using OSF1.

        Then you should upgrade to Tru64 UNIX.  OSF1 is not Y2K compliant.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"

Adding users problem

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 00:56:01

Patsy wroteL

Quote:> I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
> getting the message
> "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
> Please try again later."

Which tool are you using and have you read its man page?  For example
the man page for "vipw" states that it uses (left as an exercise to
the reader) as its lock file.  I'm sure the man pages for other similar
tools also list their lock files.  For another example the man page
for "useradd" states that is uses (left as an exercise to the reader)
as a lock file.

Adding users problem

Post by Chris F.A. Johnso » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 04:22:11

> Patsy wroteL
>> I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
>> getting the message
>> "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
>> Please try again later."

> Which tool are you using and have you read its man page?  For example
> the man page for "vipw" states that it uses (left as an exercise to
> the reader) as its lock file.  I'm sure the man pages for other similar
> tools also list their lock files.  For another example the man page
> for "useradd" states that is uses (left as an exercise to the reader)
> as a lock file.

    I just checked on GNU/Linux, SunOS 4.1.3, and FreeBSD 4.4, and
    none of the man pages for vipw or adduser or useradd states what
    its lock file is.

Adding users problem

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:05:04

> >> I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
> >> getting the message
> >> "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
> >> Please try again later."

> > Which tool are you using and have you read its man page?  For example
> > the man page for "vipw" states that it uses (left as an exercise to
> > the reader) as its lock file.  I'm sure the man pages for other similar
> > tools also list their lock files.  For another example the man page
> > for "useradd" states that is uses (left as an exercise to the reader)
> > as a lock file.

>     I just checked on GNU/Linux, SunOS 4.1.3, and FreeBSD 4.4, and
>     none of the man pages for vipw or adduser or useradd states what
>     its lock file is.

Argh.  On HP-UX they are /etc/passwd.tmp and /etc/ptmp.  Same on Solaris
and IRIX.  The man pages from those vendors do say what the lock files
are.  Are you sure about 4.1.3, I recall it mentioning /etc/pmtp ...

Adding users problem

Post by Chris F.A. Johnso » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:06:26

>> > Which tool are you using and have you read its man page?  For example
>> > the man page for "vipw" states that it uses (left as an exercise to
>> > the reader) as its lock file.  I'm sure the man pages for other similar
>> > tools also list their lock files.  For another example the man page
>> > for "useradd" states that is uses (left as an exercise to the reader)
>> > as a lock file.

>>     I just checked on GNU/Linux, SunOS 4.1.3, and FreeBSD 4.4, and
>>     none of the man pages for vipw or adduser or useradd states what
>>     its lock file is.

> Argh.  On HP-UX they are /etc/passwd.tmp and /etc/ptmp.  Same on Solaris
> and IRIX.  The man pages from those vendors do say what the lock files
> are.  Are you sure about 4.1.3, I recall it mentioning /etc/pmtp ...

    You're right; SunOS 4.1.3 man vipw does mention /etc/ptmp; it
    doesn't say anything about lock files (just that it sets the
    appropriate locks), or what /etc/ptmp is for, and there's no man
    page for that file. It is not mentioned in man adduser.

Adding users problem

Post by Pats » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:24:20

Thanks, Trev,

I deleted the file .AM_is_running and I can add users again!

Thanks to everyone else for your interest and help.

Patsy

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:06:23 -0700, "Michael Vilain

> >> I've been trying to add new users, (I'm logged in as root), and I'm
> >> getting the message

> >> "The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
> >> Please try again later."

> >> No one else is logged in and I don't know how to unlock the files.

> >> Can anyone help please?

> >What OS?  TRU64 used to lock the passwd file sometimes.

> >Use the fuser command (man fuser) and find out who's locked the passwd
> >and or shadow file.  Try adding again.

> There may also be an /etc/.AM_is_running file lying around.  Delete it
> and try again.

> __
> Trev

> Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man.
>           - J. Robert Oppenheimer, speaking of Albert Einstein

1. Sysadmsh Adding User Problem!

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I am using SCO 3.2v4.2.  When trying to add new users in the sysadmsh,
after selecting modify default and adding all the account information, I
should normally be asked if I want to review the changes, accept, or
cancel (something like that).  Well now when I say accept to add the new
user, I get the following error message:

An error occured when creating use: jessicaj

Cannot update subsystem authorization file(s)

Please choose one of : Correct   Retry   Abort

When I choose to retry then all works fine, but I am concerned with the
error message.  It has started appearing recently (last month or so).

Any ideas???

Jeromie Golab

2. Release of LINCKS - a multi-user object-centred database system

3. Add user problem

4. Re-spawning a shell prg?

5. Mounting floppies on X terminals

6. nis+ add user problem

7. Question about ksh (Discipline Funktions)

8. adding users problem

9. Add user that can add users?

10. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

11. Q: Howto: 1) Add/Del user, 2) Alias user address?