FTP'ed files default to '-rw-r--r--' i need '-rw-------'

Post by DI.. » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

 i'm FTPing files to a Sun station (Sys V Rel 4.0) from a IBM VM/CMS machine
and everything goes well except the permission always seems to default to
"-rw-r--r--".  is this a default ? where can i override this ?
tried changing setting umasks from .profile to .cshrc but still nothing.
Anyone ? TIA.

Post by Stephen J. Weihma » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>  i'm FTPing files to a Sun station (Sys V Rel 4.0) from a IBM VM/CMS machine
> and everything goes well except the permission always seems to default to
> "-rw-r--r--".  is this a default ? where can i override this ?

You need to use the umask command from within ftp.  From the ftp prompt, use
the same umask command that you use in the .profile.

--   Stephen J. Weihman   -*-   GTE Data Services    --
--   The opinions expressed herein are entirely my   --
--     own, and are not necessarily those of GTE.    --

Post by Alan H. Ka » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>  i'm FTPing files to a Sun station (Sys V Rel 4.0) from a IBM VM/CMS machine
> and everything goes well except the permission always seems to default to
> "-rw-r--r--".  is this a default ? where can i override this ?
> tried changing setting umasks from .profile to .cshrc but still nothing.
> Anyone ? TIA.

Read the ftpd man page.

On my SGI system there is an option (-u) for ftpd which you must put in
the /etc/inetd.conf file. This option specifies the default umask for
transferred files. Remember to SIGHUP inetd after editing inetd.conf.

--
Alan H. Katz          | MJ Research, Inc.

617-923-8001 ext.149  | Watertown, MA 02172

Post by Stephen J. Weihma » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> >  i'm FTPing files to a Sun station (Sys V Rel 4.0) from a IBM VM/CMS machine
> > and everything goes well except the permission always seems to default to
> > "-rw-r--r--".  is this a default ? where can i override this ?
> > tried changing setting umasks from .profile to .cshrc but still nothing.
> > Anyone ? TIA.

> Read the ftpd man page.

> On my SGI system there is an option (-u) for ftpd which you must put in
> the /etc/inetd.conf file. This option specifies the default umask for
> transferred files. Remember to SIGHUP inetd after editing inetd.conf.

This only works on the ftp serving machine.  If you open a connection to a
remote box, the ftpd on the remote machine dictates the umask.  Changing it on
the local ftp daemon doesn't do the trick.

--   Stephen J. Weihman   -*-   GTE Data Services    --
--   The opinions expressed herein are entirely my   --
--     own, and are not necessarily those of GTE.    --

1. :How to remount root rw w/out '-o remount' or '-u'?

Don't you hate it when you see a thread go by that really doesn't
interest you, only to find out that 1 month later you wish you had
read it?  I feel like this topic was discussed recently...

I have installed SLS 1.01 and successfully recompiled the kernel.  One
of the configuration options I selected was to mount the root filesystem
read only, so I could run e2fsck in /etc/rc before remounting it read/write.

Well, I'm having trouble getting it to remount read/write.  The man
page for mount eludes to a -u option (similar to '-o remount' in sunos),
but in the BUGS section it says -u doesn't work for linux.  Nothing
works when linux comes up with root read only.

Is there another way to remount the root filesystem read/write in the
/etc/rc script?  I've tried mount -a, mount -aw, etc., but it doesn't
work.  When I try mount -w it says it is unable to change /etc/mtab
because it is read only.

Thanks for your help,
        Dane Dwyer

2. Redirect from [..} ignored.Path = [..] tos 00

3. Where to Find 'xcdroast' +'cdwrite' for CD-RW ?

4. Installing FreeBSD 4.0 on Sony Vaio PCG-F490 laptop

5. I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

6. Free CGI scripting tool

7. NT and Solaris together

8. why can't I set 'rw' permissions to my msdos partition?

9. crwxrw-rw- What's the meaning of 'c' in Solaris 8?

10. Error make'ing Appache; Undef'ed symbol '_crypt'...

11. Need 'exec.h' file or 'struct exec' definition

12. 'cat file' but only if 'file' exist