Help me creat a guest account

Post by Lin Hsiou-J » Thu, 30 Sep 1993 19:10:36

     I am thinking to creat an guest account which is open to everyone
     on the net. Similar to ftp anonymous, every user of the internet may
     telnet and login my system using guest as login name and email address
     as password. For the security sake, I would like to restrict the guest
     can only do some specific things under some specific directories.
     If any one knows method to do this please let me know. Thanks
     for your help.

     Chen, Wen-Shui

Help me creat a guest account

Post by Superuser - Rashid Karim » Sat, 02 Oct 1993 17:07:54

                                Hi !

> Subject: Help me creat a guest account

>      I am thinking to creat an guest account which is open to everyone
>      on the net. Similar to ftp anonymous, every user of the internet may
>      telnet and login my system using guest as login name and email address
>      as password. For the security sake, I would like to restrict the guest
>      can only do some specific things under some specific directories.
>      If any one knows method to do this please let me know. Thanks
>      for your help.

        The most effective solution(IMHO) is creating a new account
        with restricted shell.
        Thus you'll get the user restricted both in cd( it can't cd
        to _any_ directory he wants),& commands available to him.
        As for SCO Unix, you should just point to rsh as _shell_ for new
        account( name it guest, for exam), & choose "no password requiered".
        So the "guest" account can log in without password, explore any dirs
        you will put under him home directory(when apropriate perms. are set
        for him) & exec only those commands which you will put in his "bin"
        directory...

        Works fine ...

 SY
|   Rashid Karimov(SysADm).   |  "I made this letter longer than   |
|          Internet:          |   usual  because I lack the time   |

|      Saratov, Russia.       |                                    |
|   7-8452-984157,984158      |     Pascal, Province Letters XVI   |

Help me creat a guest account

Post by Mar » Tue, 05 Oct 1993 11:20:53

Quote:>    Thus you'll get the user restricted both in cd( it can't cd
>    to _any_ directory he wants),& commands available to him.
>    As for SCO Unix, you should just point to rsh as _shell_ for new
>    account( name it guest, for exam), & choose "no password requiered".
>    So the "guest" account can log in without password, explore any dirs
>    you will put under him home directory(when apropriate perms. are set
>    for him) & exec only those commands which you will put in his "bin"
>    directory...

I tried this a few years ago except I went the way of a chroot environment.
The problem with restricted shells and only letting them have certain commands
is that they can bring in their own files via email or ftp etc. The hardest
part is probably things like chmodding files but that can be done in perl or
uudecode or various other programs. There are a lot of ways of defeating shells
and chroot's and you have to block each one. Im in the process of doing another
chroot system on a local linux box here at the moment actually. Think
carefully about what you give them and if you have to get bsd source code
for the programs and take out the dangerous system calls.

Mark

Post by Mike O'Conn » Wed, 06 Oct 1993 03:30:11

:       The most effective solution(IMHO) is creating a new account
:       with restricted shell.

Vendors' "restricted shells" tend to be insecure.  At the very least,
I'd set up a chroot()ed environment in which to run the "restricted
shell".

                                                ...Mike

--

 Ford Motor Company, OPEO      |  UUCP:      ...!fmsrl7!opeo!mjo
 20000 Rotunda, Bldg. 1-3001   |  Phone:     +1 (313) 248-1260

1. Creating guest account for samba

Hi!

I try to create a guest account for file sharing between FreeBSD and Windows
to use without name or password that only can use Samba-Shares. No ftp,
telned and so on.

In smb.conf I have entered:

[globals]
guest account = nobody

[example}
comment=guest account
path=/test
public=yes

If tryed to add a user gast without password. But what shell should I use?
/bin/false like linux?

How can I list all users and groups?

Shares with login are working fine.

Regards
Jrgen

2. give me an explaination of GNU

3. guest-account w/o email-account?

4. dump | restore "Broken pipe"

5. Real account with FTP guest account

6. Need a java package and I don't know where to get it

7. Free Shell Accounts/Guest account enabled??

8. Telnet Error ......

9. Need help with guest account

10. need help with guest ftp account

11. Easy way to identify system created account or account for system services

12. NEED HELP - Creating Anonymous FTP Account