Help needed: Ghostscript as /etc/printcap filter

Help needed: Ghostscript as /etc/printcap filter

Post by Roberto Fabbretti 2723 » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I would like to print postscript files on non-postscript printers.
Ghostscript can do things like that but I would like the process to be
transparent for the users.
Therefore I would like to use ghostscript as a filter set in the
/etc/printcap.
Does anyone has done this and could provide me an example?

Thanks.

1. installing ghostscript as filter in /etc/printcap

I keep reading about how easy it is to install ghostscript as a print
filter to allow easy printing of Postscript files to non-postscript printers.
I still haven't seen an /etc/printcap with this implemented, however, nor
have I been able to find anything online with specific examples of how to
implement this, and AFAIK, it's not in the Ghostscript docs, either.

My present /etc/printcap is as follows:

hardcopy|hardcopy: \
   :lp=/dev/lp1: \
   :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/hardcopy: \
   :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/hardcopy/errs: \
   :mx#0: \
   :sh: \
   :sf:

Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks.

--
<h1><blink>If this line blinks, then it's time to get a newsreader that
doesn't encourage HTML news posting!  There are many that are better

2. eth0 dissapeared in new kernel

3. Help with Slackware 7, /etc/printcap, filters, and TCP/IP Printing

4. X-Server Help

5. HP DJ 682C -- Need help configuring filter and printcap

6. How to receive Internet mail from Win95 client via mail server on Redhat 4.2

7. How do I put GhostScript in etc/printcap ???

8. HELP: RedHat 5.1 Install without Floppies

9. Need help creating a print filter using ghostscript

10. Filters and /etc/printcap

11. Using Output Filters in /etc/printcap

12. How to set up filters in /etc/printcap?

13. SUMMARY: Filters and /etc/printcap