idle Telnet timeout

Post by Ra » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:27:30

HI!
i'm using the solaris 7 on ultra 10 system.As whenever i telnet to any
other unix system.If the session is inactive(for 2 hour's) it gives
error Connection close by foreign host".

I did following thigs.

1> I check the TIMEOUT variable defined in /etc/default/login .It's
commented means default value 300 seconds.

2> I'm using cshell.I check out the the tcpkeep_interval.It probe
after 2 hour's for tcp session(7200000ms). And then sesion time out.

3> There is no any idled or any third party daemons running for
disconnecting the idle session.

4> I check the network there is no any packet drops or collision.

Please help me out as it's urgent.

Rgds, Raj

idle Telnet timeout

Post by Norm » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 06:35:03

Is there a firewall between you and these systems?

Norman

> HI!
> i'm using the solaris 7 on ultra 10 system.As whenever i telnet to any
> other unix system.If the session is inactive(for 2 hour's) it gives
> error Connection close by foreign host".

> I did following thigs.

> 1> I check the TIMEOUT variable defined in /etc/default/login .It's
> commented means default value 300 seconds.

> 2> I'm using cshell.I check out the the tcpkeep_interval.It probe
> after 2 hour's for tcp session(7200000ms). And then sesion time out.

> 3> There is no any idled or any third party daemons running for
> disconnecting the idle session.

> 4> I check the network there is no any packet drops or collision.

> Please help me out as it's urgent.

> Rgds, Raj

idle Telnet timeout

Post by Ra » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:13:25

Yeah we are using cisco pix 501 in between...

Configurationg time out defined in pix: timeout xlate 3:00:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 rpc 0:10:00 h323
0:05:00 si
p 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00
timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
---

If you know any variable to define on pix to increase the time out
please let me know.Even telnet is working between local nodes without
any time out.

rgds,
raj

> Is there a firewall between you and these systems?

> Norman

> > HI!
> > i'm using the solaris 7 on ultra 10 system.As whenever i telnet to any
> > other unix system.If the session is inactive(for 2 hour's) it gives
> > error Connection close by foreign host".

> > I did following thigs.

> > 1> I check the TIMEOUT variable defined in /etc/default/login .It's
> > commented means default value 300 seconds.

> > 2> I'm using cshell.I check out the the tcpkeep_interval.It probe
> > after 2 hour's for tcp session(7200000ms). And then sesion time out.

> > 3> There is no any idled or any third party daemons running for
> > disconnecting the idle session.

> > 4> I check the network there is no any packet drops or collision.

> > Please help me out as it's urgent.

> > Rgds, Raj

idle Telnet timeout

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 05:25:51

> i'm using the solaris 7 on ultra 10 system.As whenever i telnet to any
> other unix system.If the session is inactive(for 2 hour's) it gives
> error Connection close by foreign host".

> 2> I'm using cshell.I check out the the tcpkeep_interval.It probe
> after 2 hour's for tcp session(7200000ms). And then sesion time out.

In addition to checking to see if the firewall is killing your session,
look at the value of the variable "autologout" to see if the shell kills
itself.

If the shell kills itself, the next time you login you will not be able
to see your old shell processes.  If the firewall kills the connections,
the old processes will still be running waiting for the next command.

idle Telnet timeout

Post by Ra » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:51:37

I already told u.It's working ofr internal network.So it means there
is no any shell variable defined for autologout.

please help.

rgds,
rajat

> > i'm using the solaris 7 on ultra 10 system.As whenever i telnet to any
> > other unix system.If the session is inactive(for 2 hour's) it gives
> > error Connection close by foreign host".

> > 2> I'm using cshell.I check out the the tcpkeep_interval.It probe
> > after 2 hour's for tcp session(7200000ms). And then sesion time out.

> In addition to checking to see if the firewall is killing your session,
> look at the value of the variable "autologout" to see if the shell kills
> itself.

> If the shell kills itself, the next time you login you will not be able
> to see your old shell processes.  If the firewall kills the connections,
> the old processes will still be running waiting for the next command.

idle Telnet timeout

Post by Zhang Rongche » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:32:41

Hi Rajat:

   In your mail:

Quote:> > > 2> I'm using cshell.I check out the the tcpkeep_interval.It probe
> > > after 2 hour's for tcp session(7200000ms). And then sesion time out.

    How can u probe tcpkeep_interval value in unix?

  regards
  zhang

idle Telnet timeout

Post by Zhang Rongche » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:36:19

Hi Rajat:
   In ur mail:

Quote:> > > 2> I'm using cshell.I check out the the tcpkeep_interval.It probe
> > > after 2 hour's for tcp session(7200000ms). And then sesion time out.

  how can u probe the tcpkeep_interval value?

  regards
  zhang

idle Telnet timeout

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:41:48

>>>i'm using the solaris 7 on ultra 10 system.As whenever i telnet to any
>>>other unix system.If the session is inactive(for 2 hour's) it gives
>>>error Connection close by foreign host".

>>>2> I'm using cshell.I check out the the tcpkeep_interval.It probe
>>>after 2 hour's for tcp session(7200000ms). And then sesion time out.

>>In addition to checking to see if the firewall is killing your session,
>>look at the value of the variable "autologout" to see if the shell kills
>>itself.

>>If the shell kills itself, the next time you login you will not be able
>>to see your old shell processes.  If the firewall kills the connections,
>>the old processes will still be running waiting for the next command.

Top Posting Fixed. Post modified for clarity.
PLEASE READ http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html.

 > I already told you, it's working of an internal network.So it means
 > there is not any shell variable defined for autologout.

I think you are misunderstanding.  The shell timeout variable is set
whether you are physicaly at the console or are half way around the
world.  Try this and reply below with your output:

set | grep OUT

--
         Regards,
         Nick

1. Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Hello All,

When I telnet or ssh out from my Sun Blade running SunOS 5.9, my
sessions seem to time out rather quickly.  I know it's not the far end
that is disconnecting the sessions, so it must be my workstation.  Is
there someway to set the idle-timeout on outbound (client side) telnet
and ssh connections?

Thank you for the help.

Pete

2. xview/xview.h, ... files not found when compiling.

3. telnet idle timeout

4. NCSA HTTPD 1.4 - Multiple Domains?

5. Telnet/Ssh idle timeout

6. sockets problem.

7. Telnet / SSH Idle Timeout

8. FreeBSD 4.0 can't see one of my scsi hard drives

9. idle timeouts (ssh and telnet): where is this set?

10. telnet idle timeout

11. Need to disable idle timeout on telnet

12. set idle timeout for telnet and wu-ftpd

13. What controls idle timeout?