Transparent printing from UNIX to Windows communication program. ( Procomm, Hyperterm)

Transparent printing from UNIX to Windows communication program. ( Procomm, Hyperterm)

Post by cl.. » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello ...

I am having difficulty with getting a remote printing script that I
wrote to work with any program that uses the print drivers for the
remote printer.

Here's the scenario...

I wrote a script that sends the transparent print code as well as codes
for HP or Epson printers for compressed print. We are using Ice-Tcp
(James Rivers) to connect into the UNIX machine. If I invoke my script
from one of these connections, it works fine. If I use Hyperterminal, or
Procomm for Windows, the page comes out, but the escape codes for the
compressed print do not work. (they get printed as well. )

One thing I did do was to change the port on the printer to print to a
file. When I used the Ice-tcp to connect in and print it created a
normal txt file with the codes in it. When I went in through
Hyperterminal it created some sort of binary type of file.

So bascially I'm looking for some sort of print driver that just takes
the information and redirects it to the port. ( maybe some sort of
standard text driver. I believe that WP uses one for their passthru
setup. )

If anyone has any information, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Steve Clark
System Administrator
G.A. Kayser & Sons, Inc.

Transparent printing from UNIX to Windows communication program. ( Procomm, Hyperterm)

Post by Mathieu GUILLAU » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

[problems printing from Unix to Windows through the net]

Did you try to install the samba suite on your Unix workstation ? It enables
you to make a Netbios connection to your Windows machine. If you have
postscript printers, it's quite easy, otherwise, you'll have to use filters
like you do with your usual Unix-connected printers...

                                        Mat

Post by je.. » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hello ...

> I am having difficulty with getting a remote printing script that I
> wrote to work with any program that uses the print drivers for the
> remote printer.

> Here's the scenario...

> I wrote a script that sends the transparent print code as well as codes
> for HP or Epson printers for compressed print. We are using Ice-Tcp
> (James Rivers) to connect into the UNIX machine. If I invoke my script
> from one of these connections, it works fine. If I use Hyperterminal, or
> Procomm for Windows, the page comes out, but the escape codes for the
> compressed print do not work. (they get printed as well. )

> One thing I did do was to change the port on the printer to print to a
> file. When I used the Ice-tcp to connect in and print it created a
> normal txt file with the codes in it. When I went in through
> Hyperterminal it created some sort of binary type of file.

> So bascially I'm looking for some sort of print driver that just takes
> the information and redirects it to the port. ( maybe some sort of
> standard text driver. I believe that WP uses one for their passthru
> setup. )

> If anyone has any information, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

> Steve Clark
> System Administrator
> G.A. Kayser & Sons, Inc.

Steve,

Download the next release of HyperTerminal Private Edition from our
website when it shows up in the next couple of days
(http://www.hilgraeve.com).

This release (V3.0) contains significantly improved pass through
printing for the VT100 emulation.

Jeff Beamsley
Hilgraeve

--

Posted using Reference.COM                         http://www.reference.com

InReference, Inc. accepts no responsibility for the content of this posting.

1. get unix x-windows program to start microsoft windows program

does anybody know if it is possible to get a unix x-windows program to
start a microsoft windows program?  i know it can be done the other way
round using remote shell.

we've got a load of microsoft windows pcs with x-windows.  ideally we
want users to be able to click a button on our x-windows program which
then starts a microsoft windows program on their pc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. TLI question

3. samba printing and communication/feedback from the printer to windows

4. Is it possible?

5. How does windows Hyperterm (telnet option) auto trasnfers files using ZModem?

6. Routed command

7. Programming Windows vs Programming Linux (UNIX)

8. How can I count files in a directory and not it's subdirectory?

9. Printing italics, bold, underline to UNIX printing for Windows

10. Interprocess Communication between X-Windows Programs

11. Q: A UNIX COMMUNICATION PROGRAMMING QUESTION. NEED HELP!

12. Need help on program for serial line communication of UNIX

13. Communication between two programs on unix