lpr & novell printing to HP LJ III

Post by leona.. » Sat, 30 Jan 1993 00:24:59

       We have an HP laserjet III with  MBytes of Ram. It is currently
hooked up to a PC parallel port and shared through a switch box. I have
been asked to recommend two alterations.

1)     Make the printer a postscript printer

2)     Make the printer avialable over the network.

       We need : novell printer availability for PCs and lpr
                 availability for the Unix systems.

For 1 )
       a ) What are useful options. I need to trade off cost vs speed.
           The main uses will be printing Wordperfect from a Novell
           spooler (see below) and ascii and postscript coming in via
           lpr. There will be some, but not a lot, of graphics.
       b ) Should memory also be upgraded? I am getting conflicting
           advice on this.
       c ) What are relative costs?

For 2)
       I have been told about 2 choices:

       A) Get two old PCs with floppies, (hard disk not required)
          put ethernet cards in them and boot one as a dedicated
          Novell print server (this one has the printer directly
          attached). The other is booted as a GW between lpr and Novell
          to route lpr reuests to the novell print server.

       B) Milan and Lantronix have advertised hardware which attaches to
          the parallel port and ethernet and will spool both Novell and
          lpr requests.

       What experiences have people had with either?
       Have they got good security and control over who prints?
       Is there a big efficiency concern with either option?
       What are the cost tradeoffs?

       I will summarise all responses received by Feb. 5.

       Thanks for your help.
--
Len Zaifman
Information Technology Coordinator, College of Physical and Engineering Science

Post by Kra » Tue, 09 Feb 1993 23:26:33

>       We have an HP laserjet III with  MBytes of Ram. It is currently
>hooked up to a PC parallel port and shared through a switch box. I have
>been asked to recommend two alterations.

>1)     Make the printer a postscript printer

>2)     Make the printer avialable over the network.

>       We need : novell printer availability for PCs and lpr
>             availability for the Unix systems.

Novell makes two products which can help.  One is a complete  TCP/IP
package for your printserver, the other, a subset called "FLEX/IP", is
just enough to get lpd protocols working.  Call 1-800-NETWARE for more
info.

(I speak as a user, not as an employee).

--

Network Scapegoat in Training                                      Novell/DSG
That's the whole problem with science.  You've got a bunch of empiricists

Post by Kevin Wang (The Scarecr » Thu, 11 Feb 1993 13:34:31

>>       We have an HP laserjet III with  MBytes of Ram. It is currently
>>hooked up to a PC parallel port and shared through a switch box. I have
>>been asked to recommend two alterations.

>>1)     Make the printer a postscript printer

>>2)     Make the printer avialable over the network.

>>       We need : novell printer availability for PCs and lpr
>>                 availability for the Unix systems.

>Novell makes two products which can help.  One is a complete  TCP/IP
>package for your printserver, the other, a subset called "FLEX/IP", is
>just enough to get lpd protocols working.  Call 1-800-NETWARE for more
>info.

You can also look into Charon 4.0.  It will require a standalone PC, but it
will definately solve your problem, and CHEAP. (read: shareware).

   - Kevin Wang

1. printing from slackware -> nt hp lj III

Hello I would greatly appreciate if someone could either help me out or
point me in the direction of some good documentation that will help me
resolve my problem from beginning to end, here is my situation I have 2
linux (slackware) machines running on a Windows NT domintated client /
server network, I would like to be able to print from anywhere in
slackware (ie. wp8 or netscape) but the printer (hewlet packard laser
III) is setup on one a 95 machine (//inkblot/hpiii lab1)on the nt
network.  i would like to use whatever method possible to get full
access to the printer (ie. be able to print text/graphics, and maybe
even view the print cue) from within applications.  the closest i have
gotten which is not acceptable for me is the smb:/> prompt (where i was
able to print text files).  If anyone could help me out it would be very
much appreciated.  i will give a basic description of my network
below(we are using ethernet if that matters.

Linux Machine 1
Linux Distributuion: Slackware 3.6 (w/kernel 2.2 final)
Name: absolut
IP: 142.231.36.103 (itas-103.mala.bc.ca)

Linux Machine 2
Linux Distributuion: Slackware 3.6 (w/kernel 2.2 final)
Name: furball
IP: 142.231.36.210 (itas-210.mala.bc.ca)

Windows 95 Print server
OS: win95 osr2.5
name: inkblot
ip: 142.231.36.193 (itas-193.mala.bc.ca)
location of priter share: HPIII LAB1 (//inkblot/hpiii lab1)
what i get when i type smbclient -L inkblot

security=share

Server=[INKBLOT] User=[] Workgroup=[ITAS] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        HPIII LAB1     Printer   First Year Printer (ITAS)
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

if you need more info please email me like i said earlier i would
greatly appreciate any help even if it is just a small tidbit i can use
any help i can get

please reply to my email as well as the newsgroup

thanks in advance

ryan speed

2. iptables - help please

3. *********RH 4.2 on Jaz drive*************

4. HP LJ III & Old Ethernet I/F

5. AMD K6?

6. Printing to HP Jetdirect Card on HP LJ 4si

7. Oracle on FreeBSD - VOTE HERE!

8. Configuring HP LJ III

9. HP LJ III on Linux 1.03 problem

10. printcap for HP LJ III